User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - October 17th, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Entrance


  • Markus
  • Kathy
  • Pete
  • Faith
  • Carl
  • Steff
  • Billy
  • Jake
  • Tony
  • Tim
  • Billx2
  • Dan J
  • Hapto


  • Meeting called to order by Markus at 7:01PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by 5 in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

* Update

  • Unusually good month
  • Next month may take a big dip but for the insurance payment

Building Maintenance/Issues

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Carl is in contact with the Milwaukee Makers Market people and we are on the list for being a 2020 venue. He will continue to talk to them about holding a Milwaukee Makers Market at our location.

* Update

  • There won’t be an update until the end of the year when their list comes out

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Remember to suspend members before archiving them
    • Ideas:
      • Increase knowledge on classes available online or throughout space
      • Area champions sponsor events in their area with area funds
      • Makerspace facilitate classes by purchasing materials
      • See if members want to teach specific classes
      • Grillers night out has been going on every week, need to post on calendar
      • Kathy did another 2 painting classes
  • Updates
    • add a space for upcoming classes in the tuesday meeting
      • The area champion or class holder could update the on the wiki

New Flooring Proposal

  • Last Status
    • all 6 vote approval for flooring
    • roll of vinyl in kitchen area. Gets us about ⅔ of th way. Cathy C asking if they have more so we can complete it
  • Update
    • possible 200 sq ft from Dan L, vinyl planks

Lighting /Graffiti

  • Last Status
    • Idea of a mural for the outside wall
      • Carl and Steff heading this
    • Kathy H talked to Dylan about what we can and cannot do
      • We can do what we want as long as its nice art and we can check with the facing neighbors ourselves
  • Update
    • Kathy H, Carl and Pete will research on how to move forward with this
      • What we need
      • What will be painted

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • # Attendees
  • Update

Storage Options

  • Last Status
    • Move Maker Faire, Make-A-Thon, Power Wheels supplies to self storage unit
    • Markus asked about pricing for MMS to get unit at storage masters (scroll saws, folding chairs, powerwheels, etc) less than $1/sq.ft. ($106/month)
    • 18 months of storage. Markus will email the membership
  • Update
    • Markus calls a vote
      • Pete: YES
      • Markus: YES
      • Kathy: YES
      • Faith: YES
      • Carl: NO
      • Billy:
      • Steff:

Bullet points/script for giving tours

  • Last Status
    • similar to wood shop
    • encourage and boost confidence for more members to give tours
    • more consistency of topics covered
    • cover more of our culture and what to expect (training, storage, behaviour)
    • Do we want a bulleted script for tour guides
    • Steff and Kathy C will survey new members
    • Do we want a quiz after becoming a new member for the simple/everyday things?
  • Update

Update member handbook and provide printed copy

  • Many people more likely to read and remember printed things
  • Gives new members something to do while waiting to sign up
  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Give each new member a copy
  • Give handbook at first tour, then have the new member verify that they read it: quiz potential
  • Face to face instruction instead of the video
  • Carl will come in 30 minutes before Monday class for new member orientation
  • Slide deck in wiki for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid
  • Update
  • On Markus’s to do list
  • Need to print a small run of the brochures

Old Dumpster Pad

  • Remove old pad and replace with compacted gravel for an additional parking spot
  • It’ll be in the fall when Cathy’s dad has slow time at work
  • Update
  • Markus drilled into the pad and suggests that we just let winter and the ice break up the pad
  • Tim will see if there are any Milwaukee Tools that can help

Revisit the issue of "Commercial Work"

Spending Area Funding

  • Markus or Andy becoming Electronics Area Champion to spend the money and stock things that are missing
  • Markus and Dan have been spending area funds for the electronics lab
  • Kathy make a motion Markus to be area champion
    • Pete, Kathy, Faith, Steff = Yes
    • Markus= Abstains
    • Billy, Carl = Missing

Maker Faire Funding

  • Need to vote on replenishing the outreach fund to $1,963
    • Vote:
    • Markus: YES
    • Pete: YES
    • Kathy: YES
    • Carl: YES
    • Faith: YES

Liability Insurance

  • Increasing Our General Liability insurance limit. -Dan J.
    • Our Policy renews next month. Our current limit is $1m/$2m incident/total. I have requested a quote to double this to $2m/$4m
    • They have automatically added “DATA DEFENDER COVERAGE” Which protects against computer hacks/identity theft. This is $186
    • Our renewal cost is $4,515 a year, this is an increase of a few hundred dollars.
  • Update
    • Waiting on the insurance to come back

Misc Topics

  • The :( topic of this months misbehaviors
    • Private warning in person and email
    • Email to the membership about our anti-harassment policy
  • Do we want Tom G can cuber for demonstration purposes in the hallway by sinks
    • You’re not supposed to crush the cans you’re going to recycle
  • Steff: Milwaukee Magazine Event
    • Never voted as a board to approve the event happening
    • We should have all the information about events before we agree to them
  • We want to remove the picnic table
  • Adrian will talk with the snowplow people

New Business

  • Markus:
    • Board retreat or weekend to discuss the changes with the new building and the structure of how we’ll be handling it
    • Hapto is willing to help us plan this retreat, she has experience with this kind of stuff

Need to look into dates after the fall elections



  • Meeting was adjourned at 7:42pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-10-17.txt · Last modified: 2019/10/18 00:50 by wildapricot-finfrock_faith