User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - January 17th, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab


  • Markus S
  • Dan J
  • Kathy H
  • Becca
  • Colleen
  • Pete
  • Billy
  • None
  • Bill
  • Bobby
  • Kyle
  • Chris
  • Alex
  • Tom G
  • Tony
  • Steve P


  • Meeting called to order by Markus Schneider at 8:00pm

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.
  • Dan has called and Faxed the IRS and we have been granted a 60 day extension which should be approved with no late penalty fine.
  • We may want to discuss the wisdom of paying a CPA to file on our behalf. We did this several years ago and it cost us $300 per year.
  • If we do not, we should make a greater effort to review our filing with multiple people before sending to avoid a recurrence.

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Update
    • Power reel yet to be installed in craft lab
    • Focus on Energy Credit for LED bulbs has been re submitted, has been approved and waiting for check
    • Parking lot needs to be repaved but will also be discussed with work towards making a more wheelchair accessible door/ramp.

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Contact Billy for information on the Outreach programs regular meetings

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering members. Gift cards or other recognition for going above and beyond.
    • Another newsletter will be sent
    • Abuse in the Metal shop is still occurring see Lost and Found Box notes

MATC Program

  • Last Status
    • MATC new VP meet with Dan and Markus and seems excited to merge their talents into the Makerspace.

Membership Self Sign-up

  • Last Status
    • Markus will try self sign-ups at the next public weekly meeting
    • Markus will get a laptop/computer to use at signups
    • Potentially get a PayPal or Square chip reader for credit card transactions

Clarification of Policy on teaching classes to non members

  • Last Status
    • Propose to clarify language on wiki, vote if this is acceptable - Dan
    • Members can teach a class to nonmembers, but must get BOD sign-off first.
    • We need to be sure that safety protocols are in place that will not risk a claim against our liability insurance.
    • All guests MUST sign the liability waiver before class.
    • Make it clear that if a member accepts payment for the class, they are no longer covered by the space's liability insurance and should buy their own.
    • Does not apply to guests working on personal projects
  • Update
    • TBD

New Business

  • Anodizing proposal
    • Kathy Cannistra sent an email on February 15th proposing to put the anodizing station in the vault hallways in the area where to grill currently is. Venting options would be out the door, through a new wall hole or tubed through to the paint room fan.
    • Kathy is plagued with a chalky mess, needs time to figure out where its coming from
  • Donation Boxes
    • Soda donation box now a soda and popcorn donation box
  • Space improvement day
    • McDonald's gift cards
    • Member or the month recognition
  • New Topic #4
    • There are going to be a couple of bins put in the metal shop where metal pieces and parts are going to be placed when their use is questionable. Rather than throw away a crucial machine part because someone doesn't know what it's for and is too lazy to ask the area champions about it the piece gets placed in the “In” box. The area champions will go through the items in the bin when they are able and put the pieces that are really trash into the “Out” box. From there they can go to Metal Recycling next to the 3D area which is being maintained by Michael Petrowiak, aka Recycle Michael. 
    • There had been tools that were slated to be refurbished and someone tossed them. There was also a part that had come loose from one of the big machines and someone threw it away as well even though it was sitting on the machine it belonged to and was painted the same color. These parts and tools cost money and it's a shame that member dues need to be used to replace them. 
    • Nothing but actual dirt should be thrown out unless there is approval from the area champion where an item is found. 
  • New Topic #5
    • Wine Project Proposal
    • A Location has opened off site and discussion were made weather an off site area of crafting can still be a funded area of maker space.
  • New Topic #6
    • Redo Flooring in Cafe Area recommended by Kyle White
    • Still getting quotes from Billy
    • Member notify to vote on funding
  • New Topic #7
    • Tom G Letter of intent
    • Waiting for bank to ask for the letter
  • New Topic #8
    • Exterior Building lighting - Tom G
    • Lighting the side of building attempt to reduce graffiti also talk to neighborhood
    • Board approved research to better lighting
  • ADA Compliance - to be presented by Chris H.
    • Issues facing, prospective members.
    • Non formal assessment of ADA was done
    • Ramp may be looked into this spring or when we redo the parking lot
    • Talk of putting a working key fob reader
    • Dan got approval to buy door strike for new key fob system
    • Chris H got approved to get more estimates


  • None


  • Meeting was adjourned at 9:27 pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-01-17.txt · Last modified: 2019/02/23 01:55 by raster