User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - November 16th, 2017

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab


  • Marcin P
  • Mat M
  • Adrian V
  • Tim C
  • Pete P
  • Kathy H
  • Steff M
  • None
  • Kathy K
  • John H
  • Tony W
  • Steve P


  • Meeting Called to order by Steffanie Maher at 19:04

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were Approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Kathy to ask Area Champions to update the Wiki with equipment in their area(s).
    • Paused due to Maker Faire, Kathy is continuing to work on it.
  • Update
    • No Update

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Update
    • Roof work started on Saturday (11/11), waiting for the invoice.

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • No Special Committees for this meeting.

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Update
    • Found the original letter, must wait to re-apply next year with better evidence.

New camera system

  • Update
    • Good progress, soon to be finished

Willie's Boat Area

  • Previous Status
    • Board is accepting proposals and included them in the annual survey for the memberships feedback.
  • Update
    • Survey will remain open until more responses are received.

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • Previous status
    • Awnings on hand awaiting screen printing and warmer weather
    • May install during Space Improvement Day if weather is nice. Steffanie to print (in some fashion) the logo on the awning.
    • Steffanie is still working on it.
    • * Steffanie has all of the supplies and it should be done soon.
    • Dan did a thing with it.
      • Making stencils.
    • Steff is “promising” they will be done by the end of Space Improvement Day.
    • We have the stencils, the spray paint, and the concrete anchors
    • Steff will have it done by 11/4
  • Update
    • Yay, done!

Long-term Budgeting

  • Previous Status
    • Create a list of “house projects” to establish funds for
    • Sit down with Tom G about price points that have previously been estimated
    • Call out to 3rd parties for getting estimates
    • Adrian and Dan are working on it
  • Update
    • No Update

Front bar redesign

  • Update
    • Redesign continues and will be complete by Holiday Make-A-Thon

Membership Engagement

  • Update
    • Board will create a newsletter for important events.
    • Empowering area champions.

First Aid Training

  • Update
    • Every phone and exit door has emergency contact info
    • Focus on CPR and first aid training

Member Accountability

  • Last Status
    • What to do about Member accountability
      • Board discussed member behavior accountability.
      • Create a stick
  • Update
    • Reinforce to members about unauthorized activities at the space.
    • Champions signing parking permits for other areas is becoming an issue.
      • Wiki for parking permits and ticketing system will be updated.

Area Champion Interest

  • Last Status
    • Increasing Area Champion Interest
    • Issue Warning if you violate a Champion
  • Update
    • No Update (see above)

Maker Faire projects, funding, etc. Review

  • Update
    • Waiting for survey results and compilation of numbers

New Shelving Plans

  • Last Status
    • Mat needs to draft a proposal
  • Update
    • No Update

New Business

  • Discuss results of survey
    • Wait for more responses
  • Jewelry Area
    • Board will sell the watchmaking parts
  • Colleen Leahy's proposal
    • Topic shelved, to be discussed later
  • Possible new fields in Wild Apricot for Vehicle Information
  • Remaining Laser Cutters
    • Board voted on Brant's proposal as such:
    • Donate them to a Wisconsin/Illinois/Minnesota Makerspace
    • If still here by Jan 1st, then offer to members for money
    • If still here after 2 weeks, then dispose of them
    • Pete has asked Appleton Makerspace if they want them
  • Paper towel purchasing
    • $100 to be budgeted for purchase
  • Hiring a professional to auger the men's room toilets
    • Board voted to hire plumber
  • Richard Bowman's hardware area
    • Board wants to split proposal into 2 areas: Tools vs Hardware
    • Board wants Rich to ask the membership for interest and commitment to funding
  • Aeroponics Proposal
    • Group project in the lobby for 6 months
    • Board voted Yes
  • Layout for Holiday Make-A-Thon
    • Board voted yes on the following:
    • Use Willie's Boat Area
    • Scroll Saw
  • Board Meeting Notes
    • Tim will help Marcin with proactively adding agenda items
  • Voting Results
    • Make sure that there is a record of online votes
  • Food at Board Meetings
    • Currently spending around $100/month
    • Should we continue?
  • Public Website
    • It has been 50 days since any update
  • Rick as Landscaper
    • Rick wants to be an area champion landscaper
    • Rick to submit a budget


  • Betty Brinn was awarded an additional 3yr contract for Makerfaire
  • The board voted to NOT have the next meeting on December 21st


  • Meeting was adjourned at 21:05
boardmeetingagenda/2017-11-16.txt · Last modified: 2017/11/17 03:41 by marcinp