User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - January 19th, 2017

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab


  • Keith McMillan
  • Harvey Matyas
  • Dan Jonke
  • DL Swanson
  • Carl Stevens
  • Tom Klein
  • Kayla Schroeder
  • Tony
  • Alena
  • Steve
  • Tom Gr
  • Linda


Meeting was called to order at 7:22 by Keith

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

Meeting notes from the previous meeting were approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Net spend for last month was large due to property tax and liability insurance charges. Exclusive of these we would have made $7,000
  • Area funding reserved increased by $400
  • $16,000 surplus over 6-month margin
  • Decrease in membership over December and January - typical for this time of year

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Inventories from areas coming in, DL has been working with the procedure - will have done by end of year
    • Intends to involve area champions
    • pictures of equipment slowly coming in
  • Still work in progress

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Last status
  • Membrane installed incorrectly on roof
    • Tom Gralewicz reports that when fixing the roof, we found that the membrane had not been installed correctly. He's spoken to the company that did the job and the new owner has offered to fix it for free if we pay for parts. The board accepted this offer.
    • Carl will follow up with Tom G about this
  • Per Tom need to wait for warm weather - we are first in line for fixes

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

Space Projects Update

Wax sculpting for casting area

  • Last status
    • BoD will allow for wax station to find home on wheeled cart until enough interest is raised for permanent floor space
  • No Update


  • Previous status
    • Carl will continue the conversations with 3rd parties interested end of next week
    • If Betty Brinn Children's Museum is interested they are first in line for Kuka to be donated
    • Kuka will be converted into a sign holder for the fount yard of MMS
    • Sold for scrap
    • unanimous vote for this line up
  • Carl has struck out
  • Keith has gotten two inquiries - will run this down and if it doesn't pan out will look into mounting as a sign holder

Wood shop dust collection

  • Previous status
    • Steve will communicate with Bill and take on job if Bill is unavailable.
  • Steve is working on the dust collector with Kyle

Unfinished Business

Eye wash stations

  • Previous Status
    • BOD approved funding for eye wash stations July 2015
    • BOD and Tom disagree on what kind of station to use and where to install it
    • Meanwhile we don't have a short-term fix in place
    • Added to agenda by BrantH
    • Board voted unanimously to approve purchase
    • add to SID list - portable eyewash stations by all first aid stations
    • Dan made purchase by meetings end
  • Eye wash stations are here and will be installed on space improvement day

Property tax exemption

  • Previous Status
    • Keith will move forward then work with Steph
  • Steph working on paperwork

Utility rates

  • Previous Status
    • Paperwork sent to Wisconsin Department of Revenue
  • Keith got a request for more info and has responded

New camera system

  • Previous Status
    • 7 of 8 available cameras online: East Room (2), Vault Hallway (2), Outside Door 4, Wiring closet
      • Need additional exterior camera for door 1
      • System expansion?
      • Do we want to upgrade existing systems?
        • yes
      • do we add new system?
        • yes
      • Last spent budget was $476.82
  • Vote to update system - unanimous
  • Additional equipment supplied by Scott
  • Dan has reimbursed Scott

Willy's Boat

  • Willy continues to to be seen working on the project. Project continues to live.

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • Tom has proposed some awnings
  • Previous status
    • Brant is moving forward with CAD picture
    • Members approved expense to add awnings
  • Update
    • Awnings came in with a price of $2000, which was higher than membership saw. Board voted prior to the meeting to approve the new expenses - Tom voted no, Kayla abstained
    • Awnings have been ordered

Craft Lab II: Trade Craft!

  • Previous status
    • Move large black rack to impound / scrap to sell area for storage
    • Plan to relocate power sources to better accommodate vacuum former power and jewelry are power
  • Add power strip to the screen printing area and screw to wall
  • DL will be reorganizing the area

Long-term Budgeting

  • Previous Status
    • Create a list of “house projects” to establish funds for
    • Sit down with Tom G about price points that have previously been estimated
    • Call out to 3rd parties for getting estimates
  • Adrian and Dan to work on it

Maker Faire

  • Last Status
    • The board agreed to have a question on supporting Maker Faire 2017 on the annual survey
  • Update
    • survey results received - MFM will be talked closer to date

Member Free Storage Space

  • Previous Status
  • Action taken - DL will rewrite policy
    • Short list
      • no more duplicate spaces per member ie, members with pallet will not have shelf space ect.
      • reduce storage size per square foot
  • Board discussed various strategies
  • DL will draft policy and circulate

Calendars / Class Signups / Events

  • Calendars are a challenge, only board members can update the GCal, the groups aren't well suited to signing up for classes, not everyone has access to update the Wiki (or the knowledge about how to do so)
  • Dan says the next version of Wild Apricot may very well have some help for us
  • Latest Apricot update did not include this - will continue to monitor

Website redesign proposal

  • Last status
    • Carl to continue with his new design ideas and put up a parallel version next to our current site for further feedback.
    • Carl is moving forward
  • Carl is having issues with some dependencies on the server - Tony will help

New Business

  • Second Building Location
    • Tom presented an analysis of adding a second space
    • Board discussed alternatives to adding a second space
    • Board to review the proposal and provide approval (or disapproval) at next meeting or before
  • Do we implement door prizes for SID? - Voted Unanimously no - Keith abstained
  • Do we change the day SID falls on in January Sun to Sat? - Voted unanimously yes
  • Require Google Groups subscription to match Wild Apricot? - voted - Dan no and Tom abstained - passed
  • Board discussed automatically adding members to the members only list as web-only - add link to group to Wild Apricot - voted unanimously yes
  • Only sign up new members at member orientation?
    • No - film Dan doing The Spiel and play on a loop
    • Announce during meetings that applications need to be in before 8:30
  • Bi-annual meeting April 18
  • Board agreed to ask for address verification on signups - voted unanimously
  • Keith will prepare a “how do you become a member” card/sheet to include address stuff, DL says she has one - Keith to check
  • MakerFaire area champion - Board voted unanimously to appoint Matt Melk area champion for maker faire

Good of the Space



The meeting was adjourned at 9:21

boardmeetingagenda/2017-1-19.txt · Last modified: 2017/01/20 15:21 by keithm