User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - November 17, 2016

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab


  • Keith
  • Dan
  • Tom
  • Kayla
  • Harvey
  • DL ariving at 7:25
  • Carl
  • Bill
  • Tony
  • Tom G


Meeting was called to order at 7:00 by Keith

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Renew Liability Insurance Policy
    • Cost is $4,152.00 for 3 years
  • Advance Disposal (Dumpster) Renewal
    • Cost is $117.00 per month
  • Incredible growth this month, 19 members in last 3 weeks!

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Inventories from areas coming in, DL has been working with the procedure - will have done by end of year
    • Intends to involve area champions
    • DL not present
  • Update
    • trade area is taking first steps
    • pictures of equipment slowly coming in

New Equipment/Donations

  • New donations from previous Kuka owner
  • Crowd source members for selling Kuka
    • Previous status
      • Stainless steel rollers still in East Room, Adrian needs to get pictures and put on Craig's List
  • Joiner
    • last status
      • Adrian following up on this
      • Update 10/20/16 donated items are at MMS and are being evaluated
    • Send decisions to area champions - do not need to bring up again

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Dumpster Pad needs repair
    • Last status
      • Quotes received from two companies to repave the lot. Board selected the Poblocki Paving concrete quote as being more durable and requiring less maintenance ($27,000)
      • The board would like to target repaving the lot next year
      • This has been added to the member survey
  • Rik notified us that one of the building exterior grounds has come loose - email forwarded to Tom Gralewicz
    • Update - fixed
  • Karen Pauli pointed out to Lance that there is a leak in the ceiling of the craft lab, near the vinyl cutter
    • Update - fixed
  • Tom was seen fixing exit sign in the meeting room at last space improvement day.
    • Keith says “broken” Tom says “fixed” - verify if switch at East end of meeting room switches power to exit light at the West end.
    • update Keith is wrong, its fine now
  • Tom Gralewicz reports that when fixing the roof, we found that the membrane had not been installed correctly. He's spoken to the company that did the job and the new owner has offered to fix it for free if we pay for parts. The board accepted this offer.

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

Space Projects Update

4x8 CNC Plasma Cutter

  • Previous status
    • The board discussed that the project has gone on for a very long time, and the tolerance for additional extensions is thin. All members of the board present voted unanimously to require completion of the CNC plasma cutter by November 17. If the plasma cutter is not complete, and two members trained to use it, it must be removed by the end of November.
    • Steve Pilon was present and had no concerns about the cutter being completed within the allocated time.
  • Update
    • Deadline expired - 'space is tired of being gracious of schedule.
    • Kayla- Email Joe to get it out by end of the month of Nov.
    • Following the meeting Steve had the CNC plasma cutting working and had at least two people training.


  • The board is in agreement that the Kuka is not serving wide enough use and intends to crowd source to the membership for contacts to then sell/remove from property.
  • Previous status
    • Jake is using the Kuka until August for his project
    • Jake is paying $10/month for the space.
    • When the Kuka returns from Makerfaire it will be sold or disposed of
  • Jake sent an email requesting that we hold on to it as a space tool.
  • Update
    • vote in favor of Kuka removal.
    • List online and encourage members to push a sell.
    • Under $1200 Makerspace wants $600 more than $1200 the Makerspace gets half of whole sale price.
    • List until the weekend of December 16th
    • Kayla email membership

Wood shop dust collection

  • Previous status
    • “Green” dust collector online
  • Update
    • Bill C / Brant will create budget for the update of the dust collector
    • BoD has previously authorized $500 towards project - Brant has spent about $250 already

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Previous Status
    • Our lawyer (Stephanie) has agreed to help us, but we have missed the window for this year. Tom and Stephanie will work on this later in the year for next year.
    • Keep on agenda and nag Tom in December (per Tom)
  • Update
    • Tom moving forward and is ahead of game

Utility rates

  • Previous Status
    • Ongoing sales tax exemption secured
    • Rick B. volunteered to file a request to get past sales tax back from State of WI
  • Update
    • Keith has sent paperwork to WE Energies for them to fill in their part - awaiting return of same

New camera system

  • Previous Status
    • All wiring runs pulled, need termination and cameras installed
    • Board will look at a retention period after the camera system comes fully on line
    • two new cameras on line, on the South wall of the East room
  • Kathy thought up the idea of placing small monitor by one entrance so members can see who is outside and better determine who we are allowing in the the building.
  • Update
    • Listed in order of Importance
      • pottery area / vault hallway
      • door 4 “smoking area” by dumpster
      • door 1 / public entrance door
      • capacity in the system is available - 2 more in East room

Willy's Boat

  • Willy continues to to be seen working on the project. Project continues to live.
  • Previous status
    • The board will continue to request updates and monitor the progress
    • Project continues to live
  • Update
    • Project continues to live
    • Willy has even including members in completion of project
    • Projected completion for spring 2017

Member Survey

  • Survey is under review and membership should see release of survey soon.
  • Previous status
    • Carl volunteered to take this on, and sync up with Brant to get some input
  • Update
    • Drafts in review - who's going to run the survey?
    • Keith and Dan will collaborate for new questions regarding storage space and Makerfaire

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • Previous status
    • Tom has proposed some awnings
    • Tom and Carl to work on the application to the city including a drawing, Carl has photos and needs to do the drawings
    • Tom and Carl to add this to the member survey since the cost is close to $1000.
    • Mockups given to Tom Gr.
    • Tom requested revisions - DL volunteered to make them
  • Update
    • Keith will make up pictures for awnings to send to Tom, to send to City. - Will have done with in 7 days
    • Kayla draft up bay doors mural design

Craft Lab II: Trade Craft!

  • Previous status
    • The board discussed possibly making a larger area comprised of some of the smaller current areas.
    • Board to look at this again in September/October
  • Update
    • Area reorganized November 6
    • Who's the area champion for the combined area?
      • Jon H pointed out the vacuum former needs more room to be used, current location is by the electric source

Long-term Budgeting

  • Previous Status
    • Adrian suggested we should be setting aside a budget for large building expenditures
    • Board discussed how to operationally do this, agreed we need to determine what costs to forecast
    • Adrian will work on this more after Maker Faire
  • No Update

Maker Faire

  • Last Status
    • The board agreed to have a question on supporting Maker Faire 2017 on the annual survey
    • Brant has one Maker Space that has expressed interest in a stipend - Lance responded
  • Update
    • Carl not present
    • after survey feedback more decision can be had

Member Free Storage Space

  • Previous Status
    • DL expects to have all the space inventory wrapped up in the next few weeks
  • Update
    • we're running short again
    • Bathroom storage needs to be looked over
    • DL will look over storage
    • New spaces to be added to wild apricot
    • Tom G to look for lockers while he's 'occasionally' at auctions
    • Add to survey questions regarding storage vs new facility

Calendars / Class Signups / Events

  • Calendars are a challenge, only board members can update the GCal, the groups aren't well suited to signing up for classes, not everyone has access to update the Wiki (or the knowledge about how to do so)
  • Dan says the next version of Wild Apricot may very well have some help for us
  • No update on W.A. Calendaring

Website redesign proposal

  • Last status
    • Carl to continue with his new design ideas and put up a parallel version next to our current site for further feedback.
  • No update - Carl is not present

Internet Service Proposal

  • Pete Maher presented an internet proposal for MakerSpace and Maker Faire
  • Update - no movement - no more discussion until Pete comes to BoD with new information

New Business

  • Status check for new board folks - Keith
    • Trained on member signup
    • Receiving emails from info/bod
    • Understand voting quorums and such
  • Clarification on using board emails for official space business - Keith
  • Fund International Games Day snacks
    • vote in favor $100 to Amy for games day
  • Offer lead to other Makerspace (via Tom G)
    • vote in favor Tom G will delegate lead removal
  • Doors to always locked?
    • vote in favor locks - take manual locks off doors until further notice
  • Wax sculpting for casting area
    • vote in favor of wax sculpting area to start moving into plasma area
  • Letter of support for BBCM relating to grant they are pursuing
  • Approve Bill and Cash as new woodshop area champions. Vishal has stepped down, Steve will remain as head champion.
    • vote in favor of Bill and Cash becoming woodshop area Champion - adjust wiki
  • Delegate someone on Space Improvement Day to tell people what to fix and check that things are being fixed
  • vote in favor $200 make-a-thon

Good of the Space



The meeting was adjourned at 8:52

boardmeetingagenda/2016-11-17.txt · Last modified: 2016/11/22 19:28 by kay