User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - January 20th, 2022


  1. Intro
    1. Take Attendance:
    2. Previous Minutes:
    3. Financial Projections:
  2. Updates on Ongoing Business
    1. Marquette SAE Team
    2. Norwich Lease
    3. Maker Faire
    4. Make48
    5. Space Improvement Day
    6. Membership Engagement
  3. New Business
    1. Hayden Hendersen's Interview Request - Alden
    2. Member Topics
      1. Open for guests



  • Tim C
  • Faith F
  • Marcus S
  • Bill R
  • Jeff M
  • Alden H
  • Chris T
  • NA
  • Mike T
  • Tony
  • Dan J
  • Shaun M
  • Jake B
  • Charlie P

Previous Minutes

  • Meeting called to order by Tim at: 7:04 PM
  • December minutes approved unanimously

Current Financial Projections

  • Update from Jeff M and posted
  • Membership is 401 on 1/1/2022; Minimum was ~240 during Covid.

Ongoing Business

Marquette SAE Team

  • They need to reup at the end of the month
  • Tim C will reach to them

Norwich Lease

  • Contract agreed upon.
  • To be signed by both parties

Maker Faire Milwaukee

  • Carrie and Stacey no longer involved
  • Will be back at State Fair Park

Make 48

  • Tim C supports MMS participation and requests help developing communication of the pros and cons to send to the membership

Space Improvement Day

  • Scheduled for Saturday, January 29th
  • Spread attendees out at both buildings
  • General deep clean at Lenox and Norwich
  • Craft lab expansion at Lenox coordinated by Faith F
  • Box lunches (coordinated by Faith F)

Membership Engagement

Storage Proposal

* Proposal by Tim: all new members must attend Space Improvement Day before being allocated storage space * Encourage new members to interact with current members and the BOD * Helps ensure large groups of volunteers * Adequate persuasion/reward for volunteerism * Will be done on the honor system. * If current members want storage space, they must have participated in an SID within the last 2 to 3 months. * Vote to change rule to reflect the above proposal * Tim C will alert the membership of the proposed change * No action taken, BOD vote slated to occur at December meeting, to be implemente d in new year

Event Proposal

  • Date of Trivia Night
    • On hold for now

Membership Signup Materials

<del> * Tim 7/8ths through script for new member video

  • Upon completion will do rough recording for commentary/feedback
  • Goal is to break up information between the 2 tours and signup video (goal: have video be ~10 minutes long)
  • Alden will review the script and provide feedback

New Business

  • Vote to buy brooms for Norwich - Unanimous

Pre-Planned Discussions

  • Hayden Hendersen's Interview Request
    • Wants to survey Board members on MakerSpace launch, growth, etc for their Masters
  • COVID Updates
    • Stay the course with Mask Mandate.
  • What is the root of frustration?
    • Tim's Theory/observation: emotional and administrational strain on select leader members
      • Potential Causes:
        • Covid
        • High number of new members and rate of growth
        • 2 buildings; duplicate areas
        • Need for new area champions and future Board members?
          • Potentially have machine champions (e.g. Tormach, Wood Lathes)?
        • Too much of the load being carried by too few

* Area funding

  • Potentially raise area funding from $1/area to $1/50/area?
  • Discussion on need to increase area funding to support areas in both buildings.
  • Tim C/President will send out message every 6 months to membership to ask them to re-look at their funding allocation to ensure it aligns with their current use.
  • ACTION: Tim C will send out message to members stating the Board will vote next week to raise the area funding from $1/area to $1.50/area every month.

Member Topics



  • Meeting was adjourned at: 8:45 PM
boardmeetingagenda/2022-01-20.txt · Last modified: 2022/01/21 02:48 by wildapricot-reid_william