User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - March 19th, 2020

Held Online via Google Hangouts


  • Markus
  • Adrian
  • Tim
  • Kathy
  • Faith
  • Sarah
  • Carl
  • Jeff Mann
  • Kathy Cannistra
  • Mike Tarnowski
  • Sarah Beneforado
  • Tony
  • Jake B


  • Meeting called to order by Markus at 7:02PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by 5 in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.
  • Update
    • Starting March 1st, those members who didn't pay in Feb will be deactivated and archived

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • gutter above entrance door has a split that has caused icicles on fob reader
  • Update
    • Still needs to be fixed during space improvement day
    • Dan will be replacing fob readers on doors soon

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Carl is giving a tour to some DNC 2020 staff members/event organizers
  • Update
    • We can put our name on their list of places to visit

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Remember to suspend members before archiving them
    • Ideas:
      • Increase knowledge on classes available online or throughout space
      • Area champions sponsor events in their area with area funds
      • Makerspace facilitate classes by purchasing materials
      • See if members want to teach specific classes
      • Do we want to add a space for upcoming classes in the Tuesday meeting notes?
    • Add members-only board to the What Have You Been Hacking/Making email blast.
    • Direct Add members when signing them up to Members-Only board and Public Board
  • Updates
  • Meeting 500 (Apr 28th) is coming up, suggestion to plan something big for the members

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • x Attendees
  • Update
    • Reorganize Cosplay Room for easier access to power outlets.
    • Skipping space improvement day until further notice

Bullet points/script for giving tours

Update member handbook and provide printed copy

  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Slide deck in wiki for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid

* Update

  • Need to print a small run of the brochures. Markus noticed a correction that needed to be made first.

Old Dumpster Pad

  • Updated as weather provides
  • Update
  • Holes were drilled by Markus to facilitate breakup of pad in spring

Board Member Retreat

  • Board retreat or weekend to discuss the changes with the new building and the structure of how we’ll be handling it
  • Sarah heading this retreat and planning
    • What are the goals?
    • What do we want to accomplish?
    • Structural and social issues to discuss?
  • Update
    • Waiting to find a facilitator

Air Compressor Service Call

  • repair tech came in. Around $300. The fix only worked for a couple days

Maker Faire 2020 Update

  • updates from Tim
    • No news at this time - COVID-19 put the breaks on all discussions

Tool Wall Proposal

  • Matt G asking to be the champion
  • general or hand tools area
  • wait for him to come to us in person and give his ideas
  • idea: possibly give one yearly set budget


  • add Matt to the area champion board

Jewelry Area Rock Saw

  • removing the rock saw from the area
  • Joe will come and take the saw away
    • still waiting for Joe to come remove it

Language of Dues Due Date

  • Clarifying that dues are late after the 1st
    • All vote YES to change the language
  • Update:

New Business

Air dryer proposal

  • Purchase new air dryer and fittings etc as previously announced
    • vote on spending up to $2500 to replace the air dryer
      • Tim, Kathy, Adrian, Sarah, Markus, Faith: YES
      • Carl: Absent

Meeting room carpet proposal

  • Purchase carpet squares and glue etc as previously announced
  • possibility of extending in to entrance area, Not in the craft lab
    • $1,000 total budget
    • Vote:
      • Adrian, Tim, Kathy, Sarah, Faith: Yes
      • Markus: Abstain
      • Carl: Absent

COVID-19 preventative measures

  • Limit space use
  • no at risk people
  • no high risk spreaders
  • wear face masks
  • no stupid behavior (taking things out of the trash…)
  • limit to as few areas as possible
  • wipe down machines
    • have wipes available around the building
  • signage
    • around the building and on the message boards
  • entrance logs
  • entrance upon board request
  • parking permit extensions
    • request them directly from the board

COVID-19 escalation measures

  • above measures
  • shut down space, when?
  • limit space usage
  • have a log of people entered and areas used
  • send out email for people to report any sickness

COVID-19 financial and relief measures

  • Waive all members' dues for one month (Article 2, Section 7 of the By-Laws)
    • Vote to waive April dues:
      • Markus: Yes
      • Kathy: Yes
      • Adrian: Yes
      • Tim: Yes
      • Faith: Yes
      • Sarah: Yes
      • Carl: Absent
  • Parking ticket extension
  • Online meetings for members, improve mental health during isolation

COVID-19 Board Response

  • Tim would like to call to vote the following:
    • Waive all members' dues for one month (Article 2, Section 7 of the By-Laws)
    • Mock vote to close space:
      • Markus: No
      • Faith: No
      • Tim: No
      • Adrian: Yes
      • Kathy: Yes
      • Sarah: Yes
      • Carl: Absent



  • Meeting was adjourned at 8:33pm
boardmeetingagenda/2020-03-19.txt · Last modified: 2020/03/20 01:33 by wildapricot-finfrock_faith