User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - November 21st, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Entrance


  • Markus
  • Kathy
  • Carl
  • Adrian
  • Sarah
  • Faith
  • Tim
  • Tony
  • Dan J


  • Meeting called to order by Markus at 7:04PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by 4 in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

* Update

  • Spend area funding!
  • Paid insurance
  • Tax assessor forms

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Redoing the kitchen floor with laminate tiles on space improvement day
  • Redoing the flooring in the laser lab
  • Issues with air compressor copper pipe will be dealt with on Saturday

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Carl is in contact with the Milwaukee Makers Market people and we are on the list for being a 2020 venue. He will continue to talk to them about holding a Milwaukee Makers Market at our location. Updates will start at the beginning of 2020
  • Update
    • Carl talked to Mayor about who is running the DNC Host Committee to see if we can get some tours for the candidates to see what we have available
    • Carl continuing to find similar places like ours to find interest in doing joint classes
    • Make-a-thon is on November 29 next week
      • Dan J company will donate food for the event
      • Kathy C in in charge of this event
    • 5 vote YES to make Sarah co-champion to the laser lab

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Remember to suspend members before archiving them
    • Ideas:
      • Increase knowledge on classes available online or throughout space
      • Area champions sponsor events in their area with area funds
      • Makerspace facilitate classes by purchasing materials
      • See if members want to teach specific classes
      • Do we want to add a space for upcoming classes in the Tuesday meeting notes?
  • Updates

New Flooring Proposal

  • Last Status
    • all 6 vote approval for flooring
    • roll of vinyl in kitchen area. Gets us about ⅔ of th way. Cathy C asking if they have more so we can complete it
  • Update
    • we have laminate tiles that will be put down on space improvement day. The carpet has been torn up, floor leveled, and the wall partially painted

Lighting /Graffiti

  • Last Status
    • Idea of a mural for the outside wall
      • Carl and Steff heading this
    • Kathy H talked to Dylan about what we can and cannot do
      • We can do what we want as long as its nice art and we can check with the facing neighbors ourselves
    • Kathy H, Carl and Pete will research on how to move forward with this
      • What we need
      • What will be painted
  • Update
    • Sarah’s idea: collect large doodles from members to create patterns out of stainless or aluminum sheeting

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • # Attendees
  • Update

Storage Options

  • Last Status
    • Move Maker Faire, Make-A-Thon, Power Wheels supplies to self storage unit
    • Storage Masters unit is approx. $106/month
    • 18 months of storage.
  • Update
    • Moved items to storage units with about 2 pallets of space still available
    • Markus has pictures of everything that is in it and will update it on the wiki
    • Keys for unit are in the cash drawer

Bullet points/script for giving tours

  • Last Status
    • similar to wood shop
    • encourage and boost confidence for more members to give tours
    • more consistency of topics covered
    • cover more of our culture and what to expect (training, storage, behaviour)
    • Do we want a bulleted script for tour guides
    • Steff and Kathy C will survey new members
    • Do we want a quiz after becoming a new member for the simple/everyday things?
  • Update
    • Carl has made tour notes on topics he tries to cover while on a tour

Update member handbook and provide printed copy

  • Many people more likely to read and remember printed things
  • Gives new members something to do while waiting to sign up
  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Give each new member a copy
  • Give handbook at first tour, then have the new member verify that they read it: quiz potential
  • Face to face instruction instead of the video
  • Slide deck in wiki for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid

* Update

  • On Markus’s to do list
  • Need to print a small run of the brochures

Old Dumpster Pad

  • Remove old pad and replace with compacted gravel for an additional parking spot
  • It’ll be in the fall when Cathy’s dad has slow time at work
  • Markus drilled into the pad and suggests that we just let winter and the ice break up the pad
  • Tim will see if there are any Milwaukee Tools that can help
  • Update
  • Updates as weather provides

Revisit the issue of "Commercial Work"

Spending Area Funding

  • Markus is electronics lab area champion.
  • Dan and Markus have been spending the funds

Maker Faire Funding

  • Need to vote on replenishing the outreach fund to $1,963
    • Vote:
    • Markus: YES
    • Pete: YES
    • Kathy: YES
    • Carl: YES
    • Faith: YES
  • Update

Liability Insurance

  • Increasing Our General Liability insurance limit. -Dan J.
    • Our Policy renews next month. Our current limit is $1m/$2m incident/total. I have requested a quote to double this to $2m/$4m
    • They have automatically added “DATA DEFENDER COVERAGE” Which protects against computer hacks/identity theft. This is $186
    • Our renewal cost is $4,515 a year, this is an increase of a few hundred dollars.
  • Update
    • Insurance has been paid

Board Member Retreat

  • Board retreat or weekend to discuss the changes with the new building and the structure of how we’ll be handling it
  • Sarah is willing to help us plan this retreat, she has experience with this kind of stuff
  • Need to look into dates after the fall elections
  • Update
    • Going to consider dates for this in January
    • Sarah will reach out to different groups that run these kinds of programs
    • Sarah will send out google poll to get an idea of dates

Misc Topics

  • The :( topic of this months misbehaviors
    • excessive drinking at the space
  • Updating area champion message board members

New Business



  • Meeting was adjourned at 7:57pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-11-21.txt · Last modified: 2019/11/22 01:58 by wildapricot-finfrock_faith