User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - September 26th, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Entrance


  • Markus
  • Kathy
  • Pete
  • Faith
  • Steff
  • Billy
  • Carl
  • Peter
  • Dan L
  • Steve P
  • Dan J
  • Tony
  • Jake


  • Meeting called to order by Markus at 7:07PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by 5 in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

* Update

Building Maintenance/Issues

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Carl is in contact with the Milwaukee Makers Market people and we are on the list for being a 2020 venue. He will continue to talk to them about holding a Milwaukee Makers Market at our location.

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Remember to suspend members before archiving them
    • Ideas:
      • Increase knowledge on classes available online or throughout space
      • Area champions sponsor events in their area with area funds
      • Makerspace facilitate classes by purchasing materials
      • See if members want to teach specific classes
      • Grillers night out has been going on every week, need to post on calendar
  • Updates
    • Kathy will be doing another painting class

New Flooring Proposal

  • Last Status
    • all 6 vote approval for flooring
    • 700 dollars for flooring est.
    • * Kathy found someone who is donating vinyl sheet flooring. Waiting to see if it will be dropped off or if we have to pick it up
  • Update
    • roll of vinyl in kitchen area. Gets us about ⅔ of th way. Cathy asking if they have more so we can complete it

New Building/Makerspace Annex

  • Last Status
    • Tom G was issued a Letter of intent
    • Rezoning and drawings in progress
    • Waiting on City to determine how they will handle land situation
    • City Council has voted yes to giving us the building for $1
  • Update
    • Things are moving forward with St. Francis building. Closing schedule in next 1-2 weeks.

Lighting /Graffiti

  • Last Status
    • Idea of a mural for the outside wall
      • need approval from city
      • Carl and Steff heading this
  • Update
    • Kathy talked to Dylan about what we can and cannot do
    • We can do what we want as long as its nice art and we can check with the facing neighbors ourselves

Maker Faire Milwaukee

  • Last Status
    • Tom G. said we can use his truck. If we need another, Pete can get one for probably less than $300
  • Maker Faire funding requests
    • Forms will be made for requests for funds -
    • how do we handle the budget with the outreach committee
    • discussion of funding flat amount or a match rate from fundraising
    • 6-1 vote to notify membership of a proposal requesting putting 5k toward outreach programs
    • Waiting on the plan for the 5K toward the Outreach Program until there is a budget outline
    • Actual Payouts so far, totaling $1883.42 - Dan J:
    • Adrian - Sculptures 300.00
    • Akron Makerspace Travel Funding 200.00
    • Jake - Crossbow 500.00
    • Karen - Makerfaire MMS Booth 50.00
    • Kathy H - Party Food 109.37
    • Kathy H - Party Liquor 106.05
    • Kendra - Party Food 83.00
    • Mark - Truck Refuel 35.00
    • Sam - Tesla Coil 500.00
  • Need to approve at least $335.08 in general fund transfers to Community Outreach fund.
  • Outreach Program*
  • we need to find someone to head this group, mention at the meeting and through email
  • Robert Massey(ping pong ball thing) - Payout $80
  • Put $1,963 in the Outreach Fund
  • Markus will send out member notification

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • # Attendees
  • Update

Storage Options

  • Last Status
    • Move Maker Faire, Make-A-Thon, Power Wheels supplies to self storage unit
    • Tom recently started renting 1000sq.ft
    • Billy talked to Bay View storage and is waiting for hear back
    • We can also ask if members have any extra personal storage for Maker Faire/Powerwheels supplies
  • Update
    • Markus asked about pricing for MMS to get unit at storage masters (scroll saws, folding chairs, powerwheels, etc) less than $1/sq.ft. ($106/month)
    • 18 months of storage. Markus will email the membership

Bullet points/script for giving tours

  • Last Status
    • similar to wood shop
    • encourage and boost confidence for more members to give tours
    • more consistency of topics covered
    • cover more of our culture and what to expect (training, storage, behaviour)
    • Do we want a bulleted script for tour guides
    • Steff and Kathy C will survey new members
    • Do we want a quiz after becoming a new member for the simple/everyday things?
  • Update

Update member handbook and provide printed copy

  • Many people more likely to read and remember printed things
  • Gives new members something to do while waiting to sign up
  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Give each new member a copy
  • Give handbook at first tour, then have the new member verify that they read it: quiz potential
  • Face to face instruction instead of the video
  • Carl will come in 30 minutes before Monday class for new member orientation
  • Slide deck in wiki for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid

Reinstating members previously removed by the Board

  • Adding a new line on the sign up sheet to check off if they've been a member before
  • Markus wants to add a list of members who we should be wary of signing up again
  • new procedure write-up for signing up members
  • Update
    • Markus added the list of members who we should be wary of in the Wild Apricot add a member

Old Dumpster Pad

  • Remove old pad and replace with compacted gravel for an additional parking spot
  • It’ll be in the fall when Cathy’s dad has slow time at work
  • Update

Revisit the issue of "Commercial Work"

  • Implement a “High Score” board to help expose tool usage data to the membership at large
  • Dan J.
  • I think it would be helpful for member engagement if we could expose more data about tool usage.
  • I would like to send out an automated email once a month, like the area funding email, containing “Most productive maker” awards. That shows who has been using each tool the most.
  • I would also add a page to the website that contains “High Scores”, for the current month, the highest ever month, and the highest cumulative all time usage.

Spending Area Funding

  • Markus or Andy becoming Electronics Area Champion to spend the money and stock things that are missing

New Business

  • Increasing Our General Liability insurance limit. -Dan J.
    • Our Policy renews next month. Our current limit is $1m/$2m incident/total. I have requested a quote to double this to $2m/$4m
    • They have automatically added “DATA DEFENDER COVERAGE” Which protects against computer hacks/identity theft. This is $186
    • Our renewal cost is $4,515 a year, this is an increase of a few hundred dollars.
  • The :( topic of this months misbehaviors
    • Private warning in person and email
    • Email to the membership about our anti-harassment policy
  • Do we want Tom G can cuber for demonstration purposes in the hallway by sinks
    • You’re not supposed to crush the cans you’re going to recycle
  • Steff: Milwaukee Magazine Event
    • Never voted as a board to approve the event happening
    • We should have all the information about events before we agree to them
  • We want to remove the picnic table
  • Adrian will talk with the snowplow people



  • Meeting was adjourned at 8:43pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-09-26.txt · Last modified: 2019/10/17 23:44 by wildapricot-finfrock_faith