User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - July 18th, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Entrance


  • Faith
  • Markus
  • Pete
  • Carl
  • Kathy
  • Billy
  • Steff
  • Dan
  • Jake
  • Alex
  • Tony
  • Jeff
  • Steve


  • Meeting called to order by Markus at 7:04PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by 6 in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

* Update

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Waiting on bill from city for graffiti
  • Possibly added to taxes, Kathy said she would call

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Remember to suspend members before archiving them
    • Ideas:
      • Increase knowledge on classes available online or throughout space
      • Events to get members together such as a grill out day
      • Ice cream social is a possibility
      • Area champions sponsor events in their area with area funds
      • Makerspace facilitate classes by purchasing materials
      • See if members want to teach specific classes
  • Updates
    • Markus mentions the classes at Tuesday meetings
    • Grillers night out has been going on every week, need to post on TV
    • Kathy did her painting class, it went well
    • A member wants to do a Miniature painting class
    • Jeff has pottery classes scheduled
    • Carl wants to look into the Makerspace holding a makers mart in the alleyway

Clarification of Policy on teaching classes to non members

  • Last Status
    • Propose to clarify language on wiki, vote if this is acceptable - Dan
    • Members can teach a class to non-members, but must get BOD sign-off first.
    • We need to be sure that safety protocols are in place that will not risk a claim against our liability insurance.
    • All guests MUST sign the liability waiver before class.
    • Make it clear that if a member accepts payment for the class, they are no longer covered by the space's liability insurance and should buy their own.
    • Does not apply to guests working on personal projects.
    • Wiki has not been updated
  • Update

New Flooring Proposal

  • Last Status
    • all 6 vote approval for flooring
    • 700 dollars for flooring est.
    • Waiting on Kyle to order flooring
    • Dan J. will purchase flooring and request repayment from board
  • Update
    • Still waiting

New Building/Makerspace Annex

  • Last Status
    • Tom G was issued a Letter of intent
    • Rezoning and drawings in progress
    • Waiting on City to determine how they will handle land situation
  • Update
    • City Council has voted yes to giving us the building for $1

Lighting /Graffiti

  • Last Status
    • Exterior Building lighting - Tom G
    • Lighting the side of building attempt to reduce graffiti also talk to neighborhood
    • Big LED light was acquired that can be aimed.
    • Tom G waiting on an electrician to come by
    • Idea of a mural for the outside wall
      • need approval from city
      • Carl and Steff heading this
  • Update
    • Waiting for quotes from Tom

Maker Faire Milwaukee

  • Last Status
    • Tom G. said we can use his truck. If we need another, Pete can get one for probably less than $300
  • Maker Faire funding requests
    • Forms will be made for requests for funds -
    • how do we handle the budget with the outreach committee
    • discussion of funding flat amount or a match rate from fundraising
    • 6-1 vote to notify membership of a proposal requesting putting 5k toward outreach programs
    • Waiting on the plan for the 5K toward the Outreach Program until there is a budget outline
    • Vote Need to approve requests
      • Adrian $300
        • Pete: YES
        • Steff: YES
        • Faith: YES
        • Markus: YES
        • Kathy: YES
        • Billy: YES
        • Carl: YES
      • Jake $500
        • Waiting for him to reapply
      • Pete $200 (travel funds for Akron Makerspace to attend)
        • Faith: YES
        • Markus: YES
        • Carl: YES
        • Pete: YES
        • Steff:
        • Kathy: YES
        • Billy: YES

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • # Attendees
    • 21
  • Update

Storage Options

  • Last Status
    • Move Maker Faire, Make-A-Thon, Power Wheels supplies to self storage unit?
    • Potential to open up 12-30 storage spaces.
    • cost, convenience, abuse issues?
    • There is a storage unit within walking distance that has a key code entry, 10×20 space for $120/month, Markus or Billy will ask about a discount
    • We can also ask if members have any extra personal storage for Makerfair/Powerwheels supplies
  • Update
    • Tom recently started renting 1000sq.ft
    • Billy talked to Bay View storage and is waiting for hear back

New Member Orientation

  • Last Status
    • Worth reintroducing?
    • With more new members it could be more effective than individually answering the same questions over and over
    • Do we have/want a script?
    • Should space improvement day be a sign-up requirement?
    • Carl can give new members an orientation on Mondays at 5PM
    • Carl, Pete and Steff working on script and tours
    • Need to make edits to handbook
    • Face to face breakdown of video ensures sign ups are paying attention
  • Update
    • Carl has been doing this weekly, only about 2 people have shown up. He will continue until the next board meeting and then decided if we should continue it or not

Bullet points/script for giving tours

  • Last Status
    • similar to wood shop
    • encourage and boost confidence for more members to give tours
    • more consistency of topics covered
    • cover more of our culture and what to expect (training, storage, behaviour)
    • Do we want a bulleted script for tour guides
    • Steff and Kathy C will survey new members
    • Do we want a quiz after becoming a new member for the simple/everyday things?
  • Update

Update member handbook and provide printed copy

  • Many people more likely to read and remember printed things
  • Gives new members something to do while waiting to sign up
  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Give each new member a copy
  • Give handbook at first tour, then have the new member verify that they read it: quiz potential
  • Face to face instruction instead of the video
  • Carl will come in 30 minutes before Monday class for new member orientation
  • Slide deck in WIKI for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid

signage for 5 minute ToDos

  • What can someone do to help an area/the space if they have 5 minutes?
  • What are tasks that can be done without much guidance/knowledge?
  • Enable and encourage members to spend a few minutes cleaning while waiting for a training, someone to show up, glue or paint to dry….
  • Encourage area champions to contribute to a list/ sign
  • Give a list when new members sign up
  • Mark tasks in space improvement day list as repeatable for new members or volunteers
  • Suggestions from area champions

New Business

* Reinstating members previously removed by the Board K.H.

  • I would like to have a new rule regarding the return of members that we had previously removed from the Makerspace.
  • I propose that before such a member can be signed back in again it must be a unanimous decision by the Board of Directors to take that member back.
  • Update
  • Adding a new line on the sign up sheet to check off if they've been a member before
  • Markus wants to add a list of members who we should be wary of signing up again
  • new procedure write-up for signing up members

* old dumpster pad M.S.

  • Remove old pad and replace with compacted gravel for an additional parking spot?
  • fix the broken edge to keep stones from falling on to the parking lot?
  • Update
    • remove the old pad and replace with compacted gravel, possibly on space improvement day

* Revisit the issue of “Commercial Work” P.P.

* Implement a “High Score” board to help expose tool usage data to the membership at large

  • Dan J.
  • I think it would be helpful for member engagement if we could expose more data about tool usage.
  • I would like to send out an automated email once a month, like the area funding email, containing “Most productive maker” awards. That shows who has been using each tool the most.
  • I would also add a page to the website that contains “High Scores”, for the current month, the highest ever month, and the highest cumulative all time usage.


  • Vote to give Raymond a warning. Voted YES by 6 in attendance
  • Included in warning: If he is caught letting guests use anything but hand tools, he will be suspended or terminated
  • Jake has suspended him from the welding area for 3 weeks with certain parameters for him to meet before he can use it again


  • Meeting was adjourned at 8:52pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-07-18.txt · Last modified: 2019/07/24 16:02 by wildapricot-finfrock_faith