User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - June 20th, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab


  • Faith
  • Markus
  • Steff
  • Pete
  • Kathy
  • Carl
  • Billy
  • Dan
  • Jake
  • Tom G
  • Adrian
  • Jon H.
  • Tony


  • Meeting called to order by Markus at 6:57PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by 6 in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

* Update

  • lost 2 members last month

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Waiting on bill from city for graffiti

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Outreach committee - Planning stages for fundraisers for the spring.
  • Issues with archived members being able to pay online
  • Old/problem members signing up again and that process
  • Keep training up to date on irregular members

* Update

  • NOMCON, reached out to fellow makerspaces
  • Some people may be interested in our key fob system

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering members. Gift cards or other recognition for going above and beyond.
    • Remember to suspend members before archiving them
    • Ideas:
      • Increase knowledge on classes available online or throughout space
      • Events to get members together such as a grill out day
      • Ice cream social is a possibility
      • Area champions sponsor events in their area with area funds
      • Makerspace facilitate classes by purchasing materials
      • See if members want to teach specific classes
  • Updates
    • No more gift cards
    • Ask Tom Klein about grill out day on Wednesdays
    • Kathy is starting with a painting class

Clarification of Policy on teaching classes to non members

  • Last Status
    • Propose to clarify language on wiki, vote if this is acceptable - Dan
    • Members can teach a class to non-members, but must get BOD sign-off first.
    • We need to be sure that safety protocols are in place that will not risk a claim against our liability insurance.
    • All guests MUST sign the liability waiver before class.
    • Make it clear that if a member accepts payment for the class, they are no longer covered by the space's liability insurance and should buy their own.
    • Does not apply to guests working on personal projects.
    • Wiki has not been updated
  • Update
    • Still not updated

New Flooring Proposal

  • Last Status
    • all 6 vote approval for flooring
    • 700 dollars for flooring est.
    • Waiting on Kyle to order flooring
    • Dan J. will purchase flooring and request repayment from board
  • Update
    • Steff will follow up with kyle

New Building/Makerspace Annex

  • Last Status
    • Tom G was issued a Letter of intent
    • Rezoning and drawings in progress
    • Waiting on City to determine how they will handle land situation
  • Update
    • Tom has a meeting with the city council next Thursday to approve plans and have a closing date

Lighting /Graffiti

  • Last Status
    • Exterior Building lighting - Tom G
    • Lighting the side of building attempt to reduce graffiti also talk to neighborhood
    • Big LED light was acquired that can be aimed.
    • Tom G waiting on an electrician to come by
    • Idea of a mural for the outside wall
      • need approval from city
      • Carl and Steff heading this
  • Update
    • The quote Tom received is: 7 lights for $7,000. Fixtures are about $300 a piece, the rest is for labor
    • Counter bid of $5,000. Tom will get a quote from another electrician
    • Vote will go to the membership for them to vote on the spending
    • Tom would pay Mike to install the lights

Maker Faire Milwaukee

  • Last Status
    • Update from Pete P.
    • Maker Faire is in downtown Milwaukee at the Wisconsin Center District
    • Postcards are ready and available to hand out
    • Venue looks good
    • Loading dock is large enough for semi trailer
    • Working with parking structures for $5 all day parking
    • Waiting on outdoor approval and makers
    • Pete to research Enterprise truck rental discount
  • Update
    • Make magazine is still doing the licensing
    • Tom has functional box truck that we can use instead of renting one
  • Maker Faire funding requests
    • Forms will be made for requests for funds -
    • how do we handle the budget with the outreach committee
    • discussion of funding flat amount or a match rate from fundraising
    • 6-1 vote to notify membership of a proposal requesting putting 5k toward outreach programs
    • Need to call about Uhaul or Enterprise truck discounts
    • Waiting on the plan for the 5K toward the Outreach Program until there is a budget outline
    • Need to notify members about the funding request form

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • # Attendees
    • 26
  • Update

Storage Options

  • Last Status
    • Move Maker Faire, Make-A-Thon, Power Wheels supplies to self storage unit?
    • Potential to open up 12-30 storage spaces.
    • cost, convenience, abuse issues?
    • There is a storage unit within walking distance that has a key code entry, 10×20 space for $120/month, Markus or Billy will ask about a discount
    • We can also ask if members have any extra personal storage for Makerfair/Powerwheels supplies
  • Update
    • Markus is going to call around for quotes

New Member Orientation

  • Last Status
    • Worth reintroducing?
    • With more new members it could be more effective than individually answering the same questions over and over
    • Do we have/want a script?
    • Should space improvement day be a sign-up requirement?
    • Carl can give new members an orientation on Mondays at 5PM
    • Carl, Pete and Steff working on script and tours
    • Need to make edits to handbook
    • Face to face breakdown of video ensures sign ups are paying attention
  • Update
    • Carl has been holding an orientation on Monday
    • Use video and quiz after
    • Try to get members to engage with the people who want to sign up to learn more about them
    • IDEA: The two meetings new members need to come to are one Tuesday meeting and a Monday orientation. Put this on the website, announce at meetings.
    • Push space improvement days for new members to attend and meet current members

Bullet points/script for giving tours

  • Last Status
    • similar to wood shop
    • encourage and boost confidence for more members to give tours
    • more consistency of topics covered
    • cover more of our culture and what to expect (training, storage, behaviour)
    • Do we want a bulleted script for tour guides
    • Steff and Kathy C will survey new members
    • Do we want a quiz after becoming a new member for the simple/everyday things?
  • Update

Update member handbook and provide printed copy

  • Many people more likely to read and remember printed things
  • Gives new members something to do while waiting to sign up
  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Give each new member a copy
  • Give handbook at first tour, then have the new member verify that they read it: quiz potential
  • Face to face instruction instead of the video
  • Tony is willing to create a quiz, this is something new that we can try
  • If the member doesn’t do well on the quiz, suggest they come to member orientation
  • Carl will come in 30 minutes before Monday class for new member orientation
  • Slide deck in WIKI for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid

signage for 5 minute ToDos

  • What can someone do to help an area/the space if they have 5 minutes?
  • What are tasks that can be done without much guidance/knowledge?
  • Enable and encourage members to spend a few minutes cleaning while waiting for a training, someone to show up, glue or paint to dry….
  • Encourage area champions to contribute to a list/ sign
  • Weld area will have posters from MATC
  • Give a list when new members sign up
  • Mark tasks in space improvement day list as repeatable for new members or volunteers
  • Suggestions from area champions

New Business

* Reinstating members previously removed by the Board K.H.

  • I would like to have a new rule regarding the return of members that we had previously removed from the Makerspace.
  • I propose that before such a member can be signed back in again it must be a unanimous decision by the Board of Directors to take that member back.

* Update

  • Standards or procedures for members that are a problem or concern for others
  • Background checks
  • Are members willing to take the new member under their wing
  • Tom: new member sign ups, member is probationary for 3 months and required to attend another sign up session


  • Carl got an email from MHub for a tour. July 12th at Noon


  • Meeting was adjourned at 8:08pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-06-20.txt · Last modified: 2019/07/18 23:58 by raster