User Tools

Site Tools


boardmeetingagenda:2019-05-16

This is an old revision of the document!


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - May 15th, 2019

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab

Attendees

Present
  • Markus
  • Kathy
  • Steff
  • Billy
  • Carl
  • Pete
  • Faith
Absent
  • No one
Guests
  • Tony
  • Bill W.
  • Tom G.

Minutes

  • Meeting called to order by Markus Schneider at 7:04PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were approved by # in attendance.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.
  • We may want to discuss the wisdom of paying a CPA to file on our behalf. We did this several years ago and it cost us $300 per year.
  • If we do not, we should make a greater effort to review our filing with multiple people before sending to avoid a recurrence.

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Waiting on bill from city for graffiti

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • Outreach committee - Planning stages for fundraisers for the spring.
  • Issues with archived members being able to pay online
  • Old/problem members signing up again and that process
  • How do we deal with members who autopay late or on an irregular basis
  • Keep training up to date on irregular members

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering members. Gift cards or other recognition for going above and beyond.
    • Another newsletter will be sent
  • Updates
    • TBD

Clarification of Policy on teaching classes to non members

  • Last Status
    • Propose to clarify language on wiki, vote if this is acceptable - Dan
    • Members can teach a class to non-members, but must get BOD sign-off first.
    • We need to be sure that safety protocols are in place that will not risk a claim against our liability insurance.
    • All guests MUST sign the liability waiver before class.
    • Make it clear that if a member accepts payment for the class, they are no longer covered by the space's liability insurance and should buy their own.
    • Does not apply to guests working on personal projects.
    • Waiting on flooring to be ordered
    • Progress on new building land
  • Flooring
    • all 6 vote approval for flooring
    • 700 dollars for flooring est.
  • New building
    • Tom G was issued a Letter of intent
    • Rezoning and drawings in progress
  • Lighting /Graffiti
    • Exterior Building lighting - Tom G
    • Lighting the side of building attempt to reduce graffiti also talk to neighborhood
    • Big LED light was acquired that can be aimed.
  • Maker Faire Milwaukee
    • Update from Pete P.
    • Maker Faire is in downtown Milwaukee at the Wisconsin Center District
    • Postcards are ready and available to hand out

Space Improvement Day

  • Last Status
  • Spring Elections
    • Steff and Carl elected members at large
  • Maker Faire funding requests
    • Forms will be made for requests for funds - https://goo.gl/forms/FTlhPLpWlrLUWRwI3
    • how do we handle the budget with the outreach committee
    • discussion of funding flat amount or a match rate from fundraising
    • 6-1 vote to notify membership of a proposal requesting putting 5k toward outreach programs
    • Need to call about Uhaul or Enterprise truck discounts
    • Waiting on the plan for the 5K toward the Outreach Program until there is a budget outline
    • Need to notify members about the funding request form

New Business

* Storage optins M.S.

  • Move Maker Faire, Make-A-Thon, Power Wheels supplies to self storage unit?
  • Potential to open up 12-30 storage spaces.
  • cost, convenience, abuse issues?
  • There is a storage unit within walking distance that has a key code entry, 10×20 space for $120/month, Markus or Billy will ask about a discount
  • We can also ask if members have any extra personal storage for Makerfair/Powerwheels supplies

* New Member orientation M.S.

  • Worth reintroducing?
  • With more new members it could be more effective than individually answering the same questions over and over
  • Do we have/want a script?
  • Should space improvement day be a sign-up requirement?

* Bullet points/script for giving tours M.S.

  • similar to wood shop
  • encourage and boost confidence for more members to give tours
  • more consistency of topics covered
  • cover more of our culture and what to expect (training, storage, behaviour)
  • Do we want a bulleted script for tour guides
  • Steff and Kathy C will survey new members
  • Do we want a quiz after becoming a new member for the simple/everyday things?

* Update member handbook and provide printed copy M.S.

  • Many people more likely to read and remember printed things
  • Gives new members something to do while waiting to sign up
  • Include something like a quick start guide of how to get trained?
  • Markus will look at handbook and edit it
  • Give each new member a copy
  • Give handbook at first tour, then have the new member verify that they read it: quiz potential
  • Face to face instruction instead of the video
  • Tony is willing to create a quiz, this is something new that we can try
  • If the member doesn’t do well on the quiz, suggest they come to member orientation
  • Carl will come in 30 minutes before Monday class for new member orientation
  • Slide deck in WIKI for new members
  • Solves: FAQ, Training questions, Cleaning, Lights, First aid

* signage for 5 minute ToDos M.S.

  • What can someone do to help an area/the space if they have 5 minutes?
  • What are tasks that can be done without much guidance/knowledge?
  • Enable and encourage members to spend a few minutes cleaning while waiting for a training, someone to show up, glue or paint to dry….
  • Encourage area champions to contribute to a list/ sign
  • Weld area will have posters from MATC
  • Give a list when new members sign up
  • Mark tasks in space improvement day list as repeatable for new members or volunteers
  • Suggestions from area champions

Announcements

Close

  • Meeting was adjourned at #:##pm
boardmeetingagenda/2019-05-16.1558048218.txt.gz · Last modified: 2019/05/16 23:10 by raster