User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - October 25th, 2018

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab


  • Markus Schneider
  • Pete Prodoehl
  • Kathy Hughett
  • Dan Jonke
  • Billy K
  • Rebecca G
  • Colleen Leahy
  • Tony
  • Adrian
  • Kathy C


  • Meeting called to order by Markus Schneider at 07:03PM

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were Approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.
  • IRS Penalty Fee of $1,280.00! has been assessed against us for late 990EZ filing.
  • Dan has called and Faxed the IRS and we have been granted a 60 day extension which should be approved with no late penalty fine.
  • We may want to discuss the wisdom of paying a CPA to file on our behalf. We did this several years ago and it cost us $300 per year.
  • If we do not, we should make a greater effort to review our filing with multiple people before sending to avoid a reoccurance.

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Previous status
    • Colleen to get professional cleaning and maintenance for Vacuum cleaners
    • Vent fan needed for Cosplay area for heat - est. cost $80-$120
    • New outlet reels for welding area, craft lab area - est. cost >$120
    • Focus on Energy Credit for LED bulbs has been submitted, waiting for check
    • Parking lot needs to be repaved, BOD President will coordinate with Tom G for quotes ($20,000 estimate)
  • Update
    • Gas bill has risen with electric has gone down

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • No Special Committees for this meeting.

Unfinished Business

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering Area Champions
    • Another newsletter will be sent
    • Abuse in the Metal shop is still occurring
  • Update
    • Talk of if intensives for Space Improvement Days will pull more “helpful” hands.

Maker Faire Area

  • Last Status
    • Concerns about Maker Faire Area Champion Duties
    • Challenges with MF Champion not being on BOD anymore
    • Suggestion: The BOD can provide guidance/template how to run the MF area
    • Suggestion: Shift responsibility for budget/financial approvals to BOD
    • Mat M was removed as Maker Faire Area Champion
  • Update
    • Discussions of making MF part of any Outreach of Makerspace instead of an area.
    • Billy K will head up proposal for new format of MF and it's funding and form a committee.
    • Pete will be writing up the proposal for the outreach programs

MATC Program

  • Last Status
    • We had 8 members sign up for the free trial out of about 25 offered.
    • 2 of those renewed at the $40 a month rate.
    • Dan had a meeting to discuss implementing a discounted membership for students.
  • Update
    • Due to MATC Members not being present or ready for meeting this topic will be removed from meeting until a later date when a new meeting can be arranged. Dan will make an attempt to have them come to our space to view the facilities.

Membership Self Sign-up

  • Last Status
    • Markus will try self sign-ups at the next public weekly meeting
    • Markus will get a laptop/computer to use at signups
    • Potentially get a PayPal or Square chip reader for credit card transactions
  • Update
    • No updates at this time

Laser Lab Exhaust Filter System

  • Last Status
    • Use charcoal based filters to eliminate odor
    • See Markus for design and proposal
    • BOD budgeted $700
  • Update
    • Bought at cost of $725 (including extra filters)
    • Markus and with help of others will be installing it on Sunday's Space Improvement day

Clarification of Policy on teaching classes to non members

  • Last Status
    • Propose to clarify language on wiki, vote if this is acceptable - Dan
    • Members can teach a class to nonmembers, but must get BOD sign-off first.
    • We need to be sure that safety protocols are in place that will not risk a claim against our liability insurance.
    • All guests MUST sign the liability waiver before class.
    • Make it clear that if a member accepts payment for the class, they are no longer covered by the space's liability insurance and should buy their own.
    • Does not apply to guests working on personal projects
  • Update
    • Holding classes will required notification to the BOD in advance
    • Discussion from Billy K about signage and parking info for classes

New Business

  • Anodizing proposal
    • Kathy Cannistra sent an email on February 15th proposing to put the anodizing station in the vault hallways in the area where to grill currently is. Venting options would be out the door, through a new wall hole or tubed through to the paint room fan.
    • Kathy is plagued with a chalky mess, needs time to figure out where its coming from
  • Update
    • Vote was approved by all board members for moving anodizing. On Space Improvement day will be moved to the back hallway by exit door by Richards space
  • Make-A-Thon
    • Request from Kathy C.
    • Vote was approved by all present board members to grant $300 towards M-A-T. which will be matched.
    • Concerns of less members have volunteered so far for M-A-T involvement then last year
  • Donation Boxes
    • Vote was taken to issue formal warnings to abuse of the donation jars. IOUs are not accepted in the jars and further action such as suspension may occur if continues after formal warning. Vote was approved by all of board present.
  • Space improvement day
    • Areas near the 3d printing area and another spot are having a smell that will need attention on space improvement day
  • New Carts and letterhead to be printed
    • Pete and Billy K discussed design options for the letterhead and maybe new business cards
  • Snow Plowing
    • Adrian was spoken with member of the REC and they are on board to plow for us free


  • Stay tuned about canceled meetings and desk duty for the upcoming holidays


  • Meeting was adjourned at 08:11PM
boardmeetingagenda/2018-10-25.txt · Last modified: 2019/02/23 01:52 by raster