User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - October 4th, 2018

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab


  • Marcin P
  • Kathy H
  • Pete P
  • Markus
  • Colleen L
  • Tim C
  • Dan J
  • N/A
  • Tony W
  • Tom K
  • Billy K
  • Dean R
  • Alex G


  • Meeting called to order by Tim at 19:00

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were Approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.
  • IRS Penalty has been assessed against us for late 990EZ filing.
  • Fee of $1,280.00!
  • This is possibly due to this years tax return being rejected and returned, then refiled with the correct Schedule O attached.
  • I am attempting to call the IRS and see if there is anything we can do to get this reduced.
  • The Fine is due by October 8th, so I will be mailing it in immediately to ensure we are not assessed additional charges while I fight this.
  • We may want to discuss the wisdom of paying a CPA to file on our behalf. We did this several years ago and it cost us $300 per year.
  • If we do not, we should make a greater effort to review our filing with multiple people before sending to avoid a reoccurance.
  • Dan calls a votes to hire CPA to perform this annually
    • Everyone votes Yes

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Previous status
    • Colleen to get professional cleaning and maintenance for Vacuum cleaners
    • Vent fan needed for Cosplay area for heat - est. cost $80-$120
    • New outlet reels for welding area, craft lab area - est. cost >$120
    • Focus on Energy Credit for LED bulbs has been submitted, waiting for check
    • Parking lot needs to be repaved, BOD President will coordinate with Tom G for quotes ($20,000 estimate)
  • Update
    • No Updates

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • No Special Committees for this meeting.

Unfinished Business

First Aid Training

  • Previous Status
    • Markus built and hung enclosure for AED
    • Tim to find a training video on AED and fire extinguisher
    • Pete made a sign
    • Markus will send videos to the members-only group
  • Update
    • Done, to be removed

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering Area Champions
    • Another newsletter will be sent
    • Abuse in the Metal shop is still occurring
  • Update
    • At next public meeting, reiterate the authority of area champions

Member Accountability

  • Last Status
    • Kathy updated ticket/permit PDFs
    • Pete will help Kathy link the PDFs
    • Pete will update wiki documents
  • Update
    • Done, to be removed

Maker Faire projects, funding, etc. Review

  • Last Status
    • Propose to send an email to members about the yearly Maker Faire Milwaukee funding commitment
    • $5,000 was voted for and approved
    • Form is available to ask for funding
    • No more moniez but more requests are coming in
    • Mat to determine how much more money for increased budget request
    • Concerns about Maker Faire Area Champion Duties
    • Challenges with MF Champion not being on BOD anymore
    • Suggestion: The BOD can provide guidance/template how to run the MF area
    • Suggestion: Shift responsibility for budget/financial approvals to BOD
    • The BOD will address this after Maker Faire
  • Update
    • Tim calls a vote to remove Mat M as Maker Faire Area Champion
      • Everyone votes Yes
    • At the next board meeting, discus the Area of Maker Faire Champion and how to handle it in the future

MATC Program

  • Last Status
    • We had 8 members sign up for the free trial out of about 25 offered.
    • 2 of those renewed at the $40 a month rate.
  • Update
    • Dan is meeting tomorrow at 11am with MATC to followup and discuss implementing a discounted membership for students.
    • There are several possible circumstances, we could end up with a combination of some of the following:
    • MATC prepays for a certain number of memberships (up to 50 students?), we keep the money regardless of how many students use them.
    • MATC partially pays for set number of memberships, and we require an out of pocket contribution from the students, this would still likely be a prepayment scenario.
    • MATC students are provided a discount in exchange for opportunities provided to MMS members to use MATC shop
    • MATC shop puts on abbreviated night classes for MMS students, free/cheap?
    • We politely decline any kind of financial exchange, and just remain friends.
    • I want us to figure out which of these we like and what we are comfortable with before I go talk to MATC tomorrow.

Membership Self Sign-up

  • Last Status
    • Markus will try self sign-ups at the next public weekly meeting
  • Update
    • Markus will get a laptop/computer to use at signups
    • Potentially get a PayPal or Square chip reader for credit card transactions

Laser Lab Exhaust Filter System

  • Last Status
    • Use charcoal based filters to eliminate odor
    • See Markus for design and proposal
    • Budgeting $700
  • Update
    • Markus calls a vote for $700 budget
      • Everyone votes Yes

New Business

  • Anodizing proposal
    • Kathy Cannistra sent an email on February 15th proposing to put the anodizing station in the vault hallways in the area where to grill currently is. Venting options would be out the door, through a new wall hole or tubed through to the paint room fan.
    • Kathy is plagued with a chalky mess, needs time to figure out where its coming from
  • Modifications to tool borrowing policy
    • Tim calls a vote to add requirement for photo of tool at time of borrowing and return
      • Everyone votes No
    • Wiki was updated to say “must” vs “should” ask Area Champion
  • Clarification of Policy on teaching classes to non members
    • Propose to clarify language on wiki, vote if this is acceptable - Dan
    • Members can teach a class to nonmembers, but must get BOD sign-off first.
    • We need to be sure that safety protocols are in place that will not risk a claim against our liability insurance.
    • All guests MUST sign the liability waiver before class.
    • Make it clear that if a member accepts payment for the class, they are no longer covered by the space's liability insurance and should buy their own.
    • Does not apply to guests working on personal projects
    • Further discussion at next BOD meeting
  • Pi Fob Readers
    • The final cost per unit is $68.18
    • Does the BOD want to pay for these out of general funds?
    • Should Area champions pay for them?
    • Dan calls a vote that 1 set for each area is payed by BOD and then area funds for more
      • Everyone votes Yes
  • Project Storage
    • Some members are storing their projects beyond their contract limits
    • Kathy will email them that they have till Thanksgiving to remove or will be impounded
  • Elections
    • Adrian and Dan will run the elections


  • We will have a Crystal Ball for the next meeting.
  • Marcin is moving to California, yup, seriously!


  • Meeting was adjourned at 20:45
boardmeetingagenda/2018-10-04.txt · Last modified: 2019/02/23 01:53 by raster