User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - July 19th, 2018

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab


  • Tim
  • Colleen
  • Marcus
  • Marcin
  • Pete
  • Dan
  • Kathy
  • None
  • Jeff M
  • Tony
  • Billy


  • Meeting called to order by Tim at 19:03

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were Approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Kathy to ask Area Champions to update the Wiki with equipment in their area(s).
    • Colleen is working on Craft Lab
  • Update
    • No update, stricken from next agenda

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Previous status
    • Back hallway door near vaults needs a push bar installed.
    • Colleen to get professional cleaning and maintenance for Vacuum cleaners
    • Vent fan needed for Cosplay area for heat - est. cost $80-$120
    • New outlet reels for welding area, craft lab area - est. cost >$120
  • Update
    • Focus on Energy Credit for LED bulbs has been submitted, waiting for check
    • Parking lot needs to be repaved, Tim will coordinate with Tom G for quotes

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • No Special Committees for this meeting.

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Previous status
    • Found the original letter, must wait to re-apply next year with better evidence.
    • Tom G. will contact our lawyer and try again.
    • Marquette could not provide assistance
  • Update
    • Unlikely to get exemption
    • To be stricken from next agenda

Vault Hallway

  • Previous Status
    • SID will have an item to improve lighting in hallway (to be stricken)
    • Hallway Heater: To be discussed after paint room plans are finalized
  • Update
    • Colleen will talk to Tom G for hallway heater

First Aid Training

  • Previous Status
    • Bought the AED
  • Update
    • Markus built and hanged the enclosure
    • Pete to make a sign
    • Tim to find a training video on AED and fire extinguisher

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering Area Champions
    • Another newsletter will be sent
  • Update
    • We have been hearing complaints from many areas
    • Dick-o-meter™ will be implemented

Member Accountability

  • Last Status
    • Still need to update the new ticket/permit PDFs and delete the old ticket/permit PDFs
  • Update
    • Kathy updated PDFs
    • Pete will help Kathy link the PDFs
    • Pete will update wiki documents

Maker Faire projects, funding, etc. Review

  • Last Status
    • Propose to send an email to members about the yearly Maker Faire Milwaukee funding commitment
    • $5,000 was voted for and approved
    • Form is available to ask for funding
  • Update
    • No more moniez but more requests are coming in
    • Mat to determine how much more money for increased budget request
    • Concerns about Maker Faire Area Champion Duties
    • Challenges with MF Champion not being on BOD anymore
    • Suggestion: The BOD can provide guidance/template how to run the MF area
    • Suggestion: Shift responsibility for budget/financial approvals to BOD

Vault hall member storage abuse

  • Last Status
    • Need to promote members who have had a positive impact on the makerspace
    • Certain member(s) are using it as personal storage and are lapsed
    • Empower facilities director to enforce current storage rules
    • Updated the emails for lapsed accounts to include warning about losing storage (done)
    • Inform members that vaults will get quarterly safety checks; two board members minimum
  • Update
    • No longer a problem, to be stricken

BOD Proposal Form

  • Last Status
    • BOD discussed a proposal form that members would fill out when making any requests for the BOD
    • Tim will update wiki and pin on member only forum
    • Dan will add link to Wild Apricot
  • Update
    • No one likes the form

MATC Students Form

  • Last Status
    • Allow students to become members where MATC pays for membership
    • MATC will then allow MMS members access to use MATC facilities, equipment, and instructors
  • Update
    • 8 members started then tapered off
    • Bob from MATC is concerned with insurance, still not ETA for MMS members at MATC
    • Free membership experiment has ended, MATC students must pay individually


  • Last Status
    • How to handle special elections when BOD member leaves position for another?
    • How to handle a tie?
    • Visibility of results
    • Public Results: Near real-time visibility to vote counts but not names
    • Paper Ballots: Use a computer for data entry then cross check and process votes
    • Administration: Must be a BOD with no vested interest in the election
    • Needs further discussion, we have 5 months till next election
  • Update
    • Ties: names in a fishbowl/randomly selected
    • No board members up for re-election can oversee the election
    • All members will have access to regularly-updated voting totals
    • Special elections cannot overlap regular elections

New Business

  • Anodizing proposal
    • Kathy Cannistra sent an email on February 15th proposing to put the anodizing station in the vault hallways in the area where to grill currently is. Venting options would be out the door, through a new wall hole or tubed through to the paint room fan.
    • To be discussed after paint room is finalized
    • Kathy is plagued with a chalky mess, needs time to figure out where its coming from
  • Unilateral Rules for Laser Lab
    • Do not disable safety interlocks without explicit per-instance approval from laser champion
    • During Tuesday membership signups and BOD meetings, ask laser lab users to pause
  • Revamp of sign-up sheets
    • Additional questions to be added
    • Kathy will update form
  • Handicap Parking
    • The owner of any vehicle found illegally parking or standing in the handicap space including the striped handicap loading zone without a valid handicap permit will result in an immediate formal warning and a 1 month suspension from the Milwaukee Makerspace.


  • Billy: Potential for very expensive camera donation


  • Meeting was adjourned at 20:48
boardmeetingagenda/2018-07-19.txt · Last modified: 2018/07/20 20:10 by marcinp