User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - June 21st, 2018

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace Craft Lab


  • Tim C
  • Colleen L
  • Dan J
  • Kathy H
  • Marcus
  • Marcin
  • Pete
  • Billy


  • Meeting called to order by Tim at 19:00

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Previous meeting minutes were Approved

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Kathy to ask Area Champions to update the Wiki with equipment in their area(s).
    • Slow, no major updates
  • Update
    • Colleen is working on Craft Lab
    • If no major update present themselves, strike subject from board meetings

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Previous status
    • Back hallway door near vaults needs a push bar installed.
    • Focus on Energy Credit for LED bulbs still needs to be submitted
    • Vault push bar will be added to SID
    • Dan to followup on Energy Credit
    • Colleen to get professional cleaning and maintenance for Vacuum cleaners
  • Update
    • Focus on Energy Credit for LED bulbs still needs to be submitted
    • Colleen to get professional cleaning and maintenance for Vacuum cleaners
    • Vault push bar needs installation
    • Markus dealt with city inspector
    • Vent fan needed for Cosplay area for heat - est. cost $80-$120
    • New outlet reels for welding area, craft lab area - est. cost >$120

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • No Special Committees for this meeting.

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Previous status
    • Found the original letter, must wait to re-apply next year with better evidence.
    • Tom G. will contact our lawyer and try again.
    • Tim to get law students from Marquette to help Pro-bono
  • Update
    • Marquette could not provide assistance
    • Do not count on getting exemption

Camera System

  • Previous status
    • Budgeted $250 for new cameras (Alley x2, Metal Shop, Finishing Area)
    • Adrian ordered the cameras
    • Need to find the cameras
    • Add to SID punchlist
  • Update
    • Installed - done

Vault Hallway

  • Previous Status
    • SID will have an item to improve lighting in hallway
    • Tom is looking into getting a 2nd heater or furnace booster
  • Update
    • Hallway Heater: To be discussed after paint room plans are finalized

First Aid Training

Membership Engagement

  • Previous Status
    • Empowering Area Champions
    • Another newsletter will be sent
    • No update, Pete's wife got into a car accident, ohhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Update
    • Pete's wife is fine

Member Accountability

  • Last Status
    • Still need to update the new ticket/permit PDFs and delete the old ticket/permit PDFs
    • Kathy needs help converting documents into PDF
  • Update
    • Kathy will update PDFs soon
    • Pete will update wiki documents

Maker Faire projects, funding, etc. Review

  • Last Status
    • Propose to send an email to members about the yearly Maker Faire Milwaukee funding commitment
    • $5,000 was voted for and approved
    • Form is available to ask for funding
  • Update
    • Form is available to ask for funding

Vault hall member storage abuse

  • Last Status
    • Need to promote members who have had a positive impact on the makerspace
    • Certain member(s) are using it as personal storage and are lapsed
    • Empower facilities director to enforce current storage rules
    • Updated the emails for lapsed accounts to include warning about losing storage
    • Marcin will draft a proposal for acceptance criterion
  • Update
    • No update on acceptance criterion
    • Inform members that vaults will get quarterly safety checks; two board members minimum

Expanding the Paint Room

BOD Proposal Form

  • Last Status
    • BOD discussed a proposal form that members would fill out when making any requests for the BOD
    • BOD will move forward exploring use of the form
    • Mat will work with Kyle on moving the form to the MMS Google Drive
    • The form is ready
  • Update
    • Tim will update wiki and pin on member only forum
    • Dan will add link to Wild Apricot

New Business

  • Anodizing proposal
    • Kathy Cannistra sent an email on February 15th proposing to put the anodizing station in the vault hallways in the area where to grill currently is. Venting options would be out the door, through a new wall hole or tubed through to the paint room fan.
    • To be discussed after paint room is finalized
  • Wildapricot Signups
    • Signups take a long time
    • Marcin to research auto-provisioning for new membership
    • No update
  • Elections
    • Questions
      • How to handle special elections when BOD member leaves position for another?
      • How to handle a tie?
      • Visibility of results
      • Public Results: Near real-time visibility to vote counts but not names
      • Paper Ballots: Use a computer for data entry then cross check and process votes
      • Administration: Must be a BOD with no vested interest in the election
      • Needs further discussion, we have 5 months till next election
    • Initial Thoughts
      • Ties: names in a fishbowl/randomly selected
      • No board members up for re-election can oversee the election
      • All members will have access to regularly-updated voting totals
      • Special elections cannot overlap regular elections
  • MATC Students
    • Allow students to become members where MATC pays for membership
    • MATC will then allow MMS members access to use MATC facilities, equipment, and instructors
    • See Dan for more info
    • Waitng for update from MATC
  • Digital Production Area Proposal
    • No longer asking for money up front
    • Issue of software licensing has been addressed
    • The board has voted unanimously to approve the creation of the area, subject to a member vote.
    • A member vote will be held electronically via Wild Apricot. It will run for the following week.
    • A simple majority will result in the creation of the area.


  • Nothing


  • Happy Birthday, Pete! The cupcakes and ziti Colleen supplied for the occasion were delicious!
  • Meeting was adjourned at 20:32
boardmeetingagenda/2018-06-21.txt · Last modified: 2018/06/22 10:12 by raster