User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - July 20th, 2017

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab


  • Steffanie Maher
  • Adrian Volden
  • Erich Zeimantz
  • Tom Klein
  • Mathew Melk
  • Pete Prodoehl
  • Kathy Hughett
  • Dan J.
  • Tony
  • Tim
  • Chad L.


  • Meeting was called to order at Steffanie Maher at 7:04 PM.

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Minutes approved from last meeting.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Kathy to ask Area Champions to update the Wiki with equipment in their area(s).
  • Update
    • No update.

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Last status
  • Membrane installed incorrectly on roof
    • Tom Gralewicz reports that when fixing the roof, we found that the membrane had not been installed correctly. He's spoken to the company that did the job and the new owner has offered to fix it for free if we pay for parts. The board accepted this offer.
    • awaiting warmer weather
  • Update
    • A quote was started and Tom Gralewicz should have it. Board to follow up with Tom Gralewicz for update.

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

  • No Special Committees for this meeting.

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Previous Status
    • Paperwork filed with Assessors office on 2/22
    • Adrian to follow up. No other update.
  • Update
    • Adrian followed up with the Assessors Office and there will be a delay in processing until end of September/October 1st.

New camera system

  • Previous Status
    • 8 cameras online
    • Second new system awaiting installation
    • One exterior camera will be installed after awnings are installed
    • Bill would like one additional camera in the wood shop
    • Currently have three camera systems, will be adding a fourth. Do we need or want to consolidate?
    • Tony and Keith are working on installation/configuring.
    • Back hallway camera needs to be mounted.
    • Steffanie to follow up with Keith to figure out status.
    • Camera installation will be added to Space Improvement Day Projects.
  • Update
    • Board discussed areas that may need additional cameras.
    • Tony offered to help get them up and running.

Willy's Boat

  • Willy continues to to be seen working on the project.

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • Previous status
    • Awnings on hand awaiting screen printing and warmer weather
    • May install during Space Improvement Day if weather is nice. Steffanie to print (in some fashion) the logo on the awning.
    • Steffanie is still working on it.
  • Update
    • Steffanie has all of the supplies and it should be done soon.

Long-term Budgeting

  • Previous Status
    • Create a list of “house projects” to establish funds for
    • Sit down with Tom G about price points that have previously been estimated
    • Call out to 3rd parties for getting estimates
    • Adrian and Dan are working on it
  • Update
    • No Update

New Vacuum Cleaners

  • Last Status
  • There's been discussion of needing new vacuums, but the board doesn't have a proposal in hand
  • Rick has proposed vacuums for carpet cleaning
  • There was concern that a filtering vacuum might not work as well as a bagged one with all the debris the space has
  • Keith brought in the Kirby
  • Dan J. asked the board to consider purchasing the last 4 of Tom G.'s industrial shop vacuums. Dan J. will clean and replace the filters. Board unanimously voted approved up to $400.00 to pursue the purchasing of the vacuums.
  • Tom G. is going to clean them before bringing them in.
  • Tom G. brought two vacuums in, still waiting for two more.
  • Update
    • Tom G. has been paid for everything that has been brought in.
    • Tom G. has not brought the two additional.
    • Adrian to follow up with Tom G.

Front bar redesign

  • Last Status
    • What to do with the bar by the front - Kathy
    • Kathy to work on finding items to rearrange/organize the front entrance.
    • Tom K. and Kathy H. to work on building a new entrance design.
  • Update
    • Have seen Kathy H. and Wolfgang working on it.
    • No other update.

Bylaw and Insurance

  • Last Status
    • Board to review the By-laws thoroughly.
    • Board to setup a time to jointly review the By-Laws.
    • Interest in review Insurance Policy with Agent - Mat Melk.
    • Board to setup meeting with the Insurance Agent at the same time as the By-Law review.
  • Update
    • Board will meet on July 27, 2017 to discuss By-laws and Insurance.

Membership Engagement

  • Last Status
    • Membership Engagement
    • Board to generate ideas for Engagement ideas.
      • Ideas: Space leaders/influential members and big event bulletin boards.
    • Stephanie is working to setup a T-Shirt/logo design event and planning to reach out to Hal.
    • Ideas are still being generated.
  • Update
    • New Ideas
      • Member of Awesomeness - Free membership at the end of the year for the most recognized member.
      • BOD/Area Champions reimbursement at end of term if they did their job well, voted by members.
      • Looking for more ideas!

Dalek Asylum

  • Last Status
    • Dalek Asylum Moving
      • The Board voted unanimously to approve space in the East Room for the Dalek Asylum through the rest of the year with a required update of interest in October 2017.
  • Update
    • Dalek Asylum has moved.
    • Dalek Asylum hoping to keep going with interest after Maker Faire

Laser Air Assist Issue

  • Last Status
    • Board discussed an email from the Area Champions about recent issues.
    • Tony and Dan are working on a solution to require fob for use.
    • Board members will reply with their thoughts.
  • Update
    • Seems to be going better.
    • No Other Update.

First Aid Training

  • Last Status
    • Board to research options for training.
  • Update
    • Discussion about Makerspace adding AED - Steff/Pete to do more research on AED.
    • Board reviewed legality of first aid and other training.
    • Pete to look into first aid training.

Desk Build

  • Last Status
    • Tom G. desk build has been there for 6 months.
      • Board unanimously voted to have Adrian send an email to request the desk be removed by the next Board Meeting (July 20, 2017).
  • Update
    • Tom G. responded and plans to have it out soon.

New Business

  • Decide how/when to split vault 18 into 2 vaults.
    • Tabled to next month for Kathy H. presence.
    • Board discussed how vaults should be managed in the future.
  • What to do about flooding in vault 15.
    • According to vault owner - two free, unused boxes were damaged.
    • Garage door fix will be made by space, potentially Space Improvement Day.
  • What to do about Member accountability
    • Board discussed member behavior of member behavior accountability.
  • Space Improvement Day attendance and food
    • Board to send Space Improvement Day punch list emails.
    • Steffanie to bring pulled chicken.
    • Raffle to engage members via tools that were donated to us.
      • Board voted 6 to approve and one absent to approved raffles.
      • Raffles will start at July's Space Improvement Day.
  • Increasing Area Champion Interest
    • Member of the month was discussed.
    • Discussion of negative feedback loop when items break.
  • New vacuum forming champion.
    • Board voted to approve Tim Campbell as vacuum forming champion with a voted of 6 to approve and one absent.
  • Board discussed new co-champion of the smelting area.
  • Maker Faire Milwaukee
    • Mat Melk signed up the Makerspace for the Maker Faire Milwuakee.
    • Mat Melk asked help to identify projects.
    • Mat Melk is going to send the Board a budget to vote on for Maker Faire for Maker Faire.
  • Chad L. brought forward a discussion of a video production space.
    • Would be interested to re-start/continue meet a Maker videos.
    • Chad L. will bring it back when spaces change and it becomes more viable.


  • Wildapricot is changing. Dan will take care of it.
  • Board got everything done on our punch list from last month! Made a new one for month!
  • Adrian to send email to the Board to start the discussion about donation process documentation.


  • The meeting was adjourned by Steffanie Maher at 8:53 PM.
boardmeetingagenda/2017-07-20.txt · Last modified: 2017/07/21 01:54 by wildapricot-zeimantz_erich