User Tools

Site Tools


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - June 15th, 2017

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab


  • Steffanie Maher
  • Adrian Volden
  • Kathy Hughett
  • Erich Zeimantz
  • Tom Klein
  • Mathew Melk
  • Pete Prodoehl
  • Steve Pilon
  • Dan Jonke
  • Tim


Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

  • Minutes approved from last meeting.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • Find the current treasurer report here.

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Kathy to ask Area Champions to update the Wiki with equipment in their area(s).
  • Update

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Last status
  • Membrane installed incorrectly on roof
    • Tom Gralewicz reports that when fixing the roof, we found that the membrane had not been installed correctly. He's spoken to the company that did the job and the new owner has offered to fix it for free if we pay for parts. The board accepted this offer.
    • awaiting warmer weather
  • Update
    • No Update

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

Wood shop dust collection

  • Previous status
    • Steve is working on the dust collector with Kyle
    • A cyclonic collector has been offered to the space. The board voted unanimously to approve it if the area champions want it.
    • Collector is here, waiting for switch to be fixed.
    • Steve P. and Bill brought forward a parts list for the Dust Collection system. Board voted unanimously to contact membership for vote to approve due to amount.
    • The wood shop is solidifying the final proposal and will let Steffanie know.
  • Update
    • The Board voted unanimously to approve as written in the proposal.

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Previous Status
    • Paperwork filed with Assessors office on 2/22
    • Adrian to follow up. No other update.
  • Update
    • No update.

New camera system

  • Previous Status
    • 8 cameras online
    • Second new system awaiting installation
    • One exterior camera will be installed after awnings are installed
    • Bill would like one additional camera in the wood shop
    • Currently have three camera systems, will be adding a fourth. Do we need or want to consolidate?
    • Tony and Keith are working on installation/configuring.
    • Back hallway camera needs to be mounted.
    • Steffanie to follow up with Keith to figure out status.
  • Update
    • Camera installation will be added to Space Improvement Day Projects.

Willy's Boat

  • Willy continues to to be seen working on the project.

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • Previous status
    • Awnings on hand awaiting screen printing and warmer weather
    • May install during Space Improvement Day if weather is nice. Steffanie to print (in some fashion) the logo on the awning.
    • Steffanie is still working on it.
  • Update

Long-term Budgeting

  • Previous Status
    • Create a list of “house projects” to establish funds for
    • Sit down with Tom G about price points that have previously been estimated
    • Call out to 3rd parties for getting estimates
    • Adrian and Dan are working on it
  • Update
    • No Update

New Member Sign-ups

  • Last Status
    • Require Google Groups subscription to match Wild Apricot
    • Board discussed automatically adding members to the members only list as web-only - add link to group to Wild Apricot
    • Film Dan doing The Spiel and play on a loop - filming completed on 2/28
    • Announce during meetings that applications need to be in before 8:30
    • Board agreed to ask for address verification on signups
    • Pete working on getting footage from Carl.
    • Keith working on switch to start and stop the loop.
    • Keith and Pete to work on new member hand out and how does the space run document.
    • Mat has edited the handout and it is on the Drive.
      • To be printed and tested.
      • Will revisit after tested.
    • Pete has the spiel footage and plans to edit. Will start usage as soon as complete.
  • Update
    • All work has been completed. Item to be removed for next meeting.

New Vacuum Cleaners

  • Last Status
  • There's been discussion of needing new vacuums, but the board doesn't have a proposal in hand
  • Rick has proposed vacuums for carpet cleaning
  • There was concern that a filtering vacuum might not work as well as a bagged one with all the debris the space has
  • Keith brought in the Kirby
  • Dan J. asked the board to consider purchasing the last 4 of Tom G.'s industrial shop vacuums. Dan J. will clean and replace the filters. Board unanimously voted approved up to $400.00 to pursue the purchasing of the vacuums.
  • Tom G. is going to clean them before bringing them in.
  • Update
    • Tom G. brought two vacuums in, still waiting for two more.
  • Last Status
  • Bay View Gallery Night participation
    • Board voted unanimously to participate in Bay View Gallery Night and Amy to coordinate
    • Board also voted unanimously for up to a $100 refreshment budget.
    • Paid and participating in gallery night.
    • Kendra and Pete signed up.
  • Update
    • Amy has it under control. No updates.
    • Amy spent most of her budget but stayed within it!
    • It went very well.
    • Item to be removed for next meeting.

Equipment Loan police

  • Last Status
    • Erich to draft policy and send to the Board.
  • Update


  • Last Status
    • File for a Tradename on “Milwaukee Makerspace” - Dan
    • Tradename would remove the confusion of Milwaukee Makerspace Inc. and cost $15.
    • Board unanimously voted to approve Dan to file for tradename.
    • Steffanie going to take on as an action item.
  • Update
    • Done! Tradename is good for 10 years.

Front bar redesign

  • Last Status
    • What to do with the bar by the front - Kathy
    • Kathy to work on finding items to rearrange/organize the front entrance.
  • Update
    • Tom K. and Kathy H. to work on building a new entrance design.

Bylaw and Insurance

  • Last Status
    • Board to review the By-laws thoroughly.
    • Board to setup a time to jointly review the By-Laws.
    • Interest in review Insurance Policy with Agent - Mat Melk.
    • Board to setup meeting with the Insurance Agent at the same time as the By-Law review.
  • Update
    • Board to meet Thursday July 13th or another Thursday at 6 pm to discuss/review.

Membership Engagement

  • Last Status
    • Membership Engagement
    • Board to generate ideas for Engagement ideas.
      • Ideas: Space leaders/influential members and big event bulletin boards.
  • Update
    • Stephanie is working to setup a T-Shirt/logo design event and planning to reach out to Hal.
    • Ideas are still being generated.

Call sheet

  • Last Status
    • Steve P. asked for the board to review the Emergency Contact Sheet.
    • Board will review and update it.
  • Update
    • The sheet will be updated and fixed tonight.

New Business

  • Dalek Asylum Moving
    • The Board voted unanimously to approve space in the East Room for the Dalek Asylum through the rest of the year with a required update of interest in October 2017.
  • Laser Air Assist Issue
    • Board discussed an email from the Area Champions about recent issues.
    • Tony and Dan are working on a solution to require fob for use.
    • Board members will reply with their thoughts.
  • Board discussed which MMS Logo is the official.
    • milwaukee_makerspace_2.svg
    • The board unanimously to approve the milwaukee_makerspace_2.svg as the official logo for MMS.
  • First Aid Training
    • Board to research options for training.
  • Tom G. desk build has been there for 6 months.
    • Board unanimously voted to have Adrian send an email to request the desk be removed by the next Board Meeting (July 20, 2017).


  • Wildapricot is changing. Dan will take care of it.
  • Board got almost everything done on our punch list from last month!


  • The meeting was adjourned by Steffanie Maher at 8:45 PM.
boardmeetingagenda/2017-06-15.txt · Last modified: 2017/06/16 01:45 by wildapricot-zeimantz_erich