User Tools

Site Tools


boardmeetingagenda:2016-09-15

This is an old revision of the document!


Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - September 15, 2016

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab

Attendees

Present
Absent
Guests

Minutes

Meeting was called to order at time by chair.

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

The meeting minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

Space Equipment Inventory

  • Previous status
    • Inventories from areas coming in, DL has been working with the procedure
    • Larry volunteered to take pictures if needed, DL to communicate that to the area champions

New Equipment/Donations

  • New donations from previous Kuka owner
    • Previous status
      • Adrian needs to send tax forms to Gerry
      • Items are in the East room, and we need to clear the items - Adrian coordinating, and it will be ready to be cleared on space improvement day

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Dumpster Pad needs repair
    • Last status
      • Quotes received from two companies to repave the lot. Board selected the Poblocki Paving concrete quote as being more durable and requiring less maintenance ($27,000)
      • The board elected to budget monies for repaving, with a target of next year.
      • This will be added to the member survey

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

Space Projects Update

4x8 CNC Plasma Cutter

  • Previous status
    • Current ETA for completion is October
    • The board discussed that the project has gone on for a very long time, and the tolerance for additional extensions is thin. All members of the board present voted unanimously to require completion of the CNC plasma cutter by November 17. If the plasma cutter is not complete, and two members trained to use it, it must be removed by the end of November.

Kuka

  • Previous status
    • Jake is using the Kuka until August for his project
    • Jake is paying $10/month for the space.
    • Adrian spoke with Jake, and he intends to move the Kuka the weekend of 8/20-8/21. There will be a few days of filming, then the Kuka would return, but none of the rest of the material he has been keeping for filming. He may need it for a few days for Makerfaire.
    • When the Kuka returns from Makerfaire it will be sold or disposed of

Wood shop dust collection

  • Previous status
    • Brant has a revised proposal that would cost $500
    • The board discussed the three proposals and asked Brant to proceed with his plan

Unfinished Business

Property tax exemption

  • Previous Status
    • Our lawyer (Stephanie) has agreed to help us, but we have missed the window for this year. Tom and Stephanie will work on this later in the year for next year.
    • Keep on agenda and nag Tom (per Tom)

Utility rates

  • Previous Status
    • Ongoing sales tax exemption secured
    • Lance to pursue getting past sales tax back from State of WI

New camera system

  • Previous Status
    • All cable drops in place EXCEPT
      • One to the craft lab
      • One to outside Door 1
      • Network cables need jacks and punchdown in the cable closet
      • One new camera installed (CNC room)
    • Larry requests that a camera be pointed at the Tormach
    • This will be a priority item for space improvement day
  • Update
    • Keith completed all wiring runs with essentially no help - need termination and cameras installed

Willy's Boat

  • Previous status
    • The board will continue to request updates and monitor the progress
    • Lance spoke with Willy and he believes he is two months behind
    • Project continues to be live

Member Survey

  • Previous status
    • Keith will work with Lance on the member survey

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • Previous status
    • Tom has proposed some awnings
    • Tom and Carl to work on the application to the city including a drawing
    • Tom and Carl to add this to the member survey since the cost is close to $1000.

Improvements to Entryways & Meeting area

  • Previous status
    • Couch to be painted
    • Carl presented a design for the lounge/lobby to the board. Attendees had questions and suggestions on the proposed idea.
    • Carl will continue this as an individual project, or if he feels he needs more authorization or to request funds.

Craft Lab II: Trade Craft!

  • Previous status
    • The board discussed possibly making a larger area comprised of some of the smaller current areas.
    • Board to look at this again in September/October

End of Year Filings

  • Our CPA has retired, and is not returning calls
  • Dan and Tom to work on filling in the forms, Adrian to help if required
  • We are late in filing our forms, and Dan is addressing this

Long-term Budgeting

  • Previous Status
    • Adrian suggested we should be setting aside a budget for large building expenditures
    • Board discussed how to operationally do this, agreed we need to determine what costs to forecast

Maker Faire

  • Last Status
    • The board agreed to have a question on supporting Maker Faire 2017 on the annual survey
    • The board 5-1 to approve the position of area champion for maker faire (Keith voted no)
    • All the board members present voted unanimously to approve 4 stipends for other Maker Spaces at $250/per to reimburse actual travel expenses to send a representative to Maker Faire
    • Additional stipends can be made by individual donation by members

Member Free Storage Space

  • Previous Status
    • Pallet racking donated by Tri-Star - awaiting installation
    • DL expects to have all the space inventory wrapped up in the next few weeks
  • Pallet racks installed 8/28 - need plywood or other “floor”

Vault Activity (or lack thereof)

  • Lance mentions that some vaults don't seem to have any activity, and there seems to be very low turnover. Perhaps we should find a way to inquire if they are being used.
  • Last Status
    • The board agreed Lance should put notes under the door of the vaults and ask for “are you using this vault”?

Calendars / Class Signups / Events

  • Calendars are a challenge, only board members can update the GCal, the groups aren't well suited to signing up for classes, not everyone has access to update the Wiki (or the knowledge about how to do so)
    • DL mentions Wild Apricot might work for events for this
  • Keith will look in to this
  • Dan says the next version of Wild Apricot may very well have some help for us

Website redesign proposal

  • Last status
    • Carl to continue with his new design ideas and put up a parallel version next to our current site for further feedback.

Weapons and Firearms at the 'space - do we need clarification on what is acceptable

  • Last status
    • A FAQ should be put out to clarify that it is illegal to manufacture firearms at the space.

New Business

Good of the Space

Announcements

Close

The meeting was adjourned at time

boardmeetingagenda/2016-09-15.1472579807.txt.gz · Last modified: 2016/08/30 17:56 by keithm