User Tools

Site Tools


boardmeetingagenda:2016-09-15

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
boardmeetingagenda:2016-09-15 [2016/09/06 17:59]
keithm [New Business]
boardmeetingagenda:2016-09-15 [2016/09/16 15:29]
raster [Good of the Space]
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 == Present == == Present ==
 +  * Lance Lamont
 +  * Carl Stevens
 +  * Dan Jonke
 +  * Keith McMillan
 +  * Adrian Volden
  
 == Absent == == Absent ==
 +  * Harvey Matyas
 +  * DL Swanson
  
 == Guests == == Guests ==
 +  * Rick Bowman
 +  * Karen Pauli
 +  * Steffanie Maher
 +  * Tony
 +  * Steve Pilon
 +  * Tom Gralewicz
  
 ====== Minutes ====== ====== Minutes ======
-Meeting was called to order at __time__ by __chair__.+Meeting was called to order at 7:00 by Lance Lamont.
  
 ===== Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting ===== ===== Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting =====
Line 20: Line 33:
  
  ==== Treasurers Report ====  ==== Treasurers Report ====
 +  * Membership numbers are relatively stable (net loss of 2 members last month)
 +  * Net income positive about $11,000
 +  * Cash on hand less committed reserves $19,857.96
  
  ==== Space Equipment Inventory ====  ==== Space Equipment Inventory ====
Line 25: Line 41:
     * Inventories from areas coming in, DL has been working with the procedure     * Inventories from areas coming in, DL has been working with the procedure
     * Larry volunteered to take pictures if needed, DL to communicate that to the area champions     * Larry volunteered to take pictures if needed, DL to communicate that to the area champions
 +  * No update - DL not present
  
  ==== New Equipment/Donations ====  ==== New Equipment/Donations ====
Line 31: Line 48:
       * Adrian needs to send tax forms to Gerry       * Adrian needs to send tax forms to Gerry
       * Items are in the East room, and we need to clear the items - Adrian coordinating, and it will be ready to be cleared on space improvement day       * Items are in the East room, and we need to clear the items - Adrian coordinating, and it will be ready to be cleared on space improvement day
 +    * Tax forms sent to Gerry
 +    * Stainless steel rollers still in East Room, Adrian needs to get pictures and put on Craig's List
  
  ==== Building Maintenance/Issues ====  ==== Building Maintenance/Issues ====
Line 38: Line 57:
       * The board elected to budget monies for repaving, with a target of next year.       * The board elected to budget monies for repaving, with a target of next year.
       * This will be added to the member survey       * This will be added to the member survey
 +    * Carl and Dan clarified this item, the board is not actively budgeting money to replace the parking lot, pending approval from the membership
 +
 +  * Rik notified us that one of the building exterior grounds has come loose - email forwarded to Tom Gralewicz
  
 ===== Reports of Special (Select) Committees ===== ===== Reports of Special (Select) Committees =====
Line 47: Line 69:
     * Current ETA for completion is October     * Current ETA for completion is October
     * The board discussed that the project has gone on for a very long time, and the tolerance for additional extensions is thin. All members of the board present **voted** unanimously to require completion of the CNC plasma cutter by November 17. If the plasma cutter is not complete, and two members trained to use it, it must be removed by the end of November.     * The board discussed that the project has gone on for a very long time, and the tolerance for additional extensions is thin. All members of the board present **voted** unanimously to require completion of the CNC plasma cutter by November 17. If the plasma cutter is not complete, and two members trained to use it, it must be removed by the end of November.
 +  * Steve Pilon was present and had no concerns about the cutter being completed within the allocated time
  
  === Kuka ===  === Kuka ===
Line 54: Line 77:
     * Adrian spoke with Jake, and he intends to move the Kuka the weekend of 8/20-8/21. There will be a few days of filming, then the Kuka would return, but none of the rest of the material he has been keeping for filming.  He may need it for a few days for Makerfaire.     * Adrian spoke with Jake, and he intends to move the Kuka the weekend of 8/20-8/21. There will be a few days of filming, then the Kuka would return, but none of the rest of the material he has been keeping for filming.  He may need it for a few days for Makerfaire.
     * When the Kuka returns from Makerfaire it will be sold or disposed of     * When the Kuka returns from Makerfaire it will be sold or disposed of
 +  * Kuka has returned from filming, and Jake's other materials are no longer at the space
  
  ==== Wood shop dust collection ====  ==== Wood shop dust collection ====
Line 59: Line 83:
     * Brant has a revised proposal that would cost $500     * Brant has a revised proposal that would cost $500
     * The board discussed the three proposals and asked Brant to proceed with his plan     * The board discussed the three proposals and asked Brant to proceed with his plan
 +  * Update
 +    * "Green" dust collector online
  
 ===== Unfinished Business ===== ===== Unfinished Business =====
Line 65: Line 91:
   * ** Previous Status**   * ** Previous Status**
     * Our lawyer (Stephanie) has agreed to help us, but we have missed the window for this year. Tom and Stephanie will work on this later in the year for next year.     * Our lawyer (Stephanie) has agreed to help us, but we have missed the window for this year. Tom and Stephanie will work on this later in the year for next year.
-    * Keep on agenda and nag Tom (per Tom)+    * Keep on agenda and nag Tom in December (per Tom) 
  
  ==== Utility rates ====  ==== Utility rates ====
Line 71: Line 98:
     * Ongoing sales tax exemption secured     * Ongoing sales tax exemption secured
     * Lance to pursue getting past sales tax back from State of WI     * Lance to pursue getting past sales tax back from State of WI
 +    * Rick Bowman volunteered to file this for the board
  
  ==== New camera system ====  ==== New camera system ====
-  * **Previous Status** +  * **Previous Status**
     * All cable drops in place EXCEPT     * All cable drops in place EXCEPT
       * One to the craft lab       * One to the craft lab
Line 82: Line 110:
     * This will be a priority item for space improvement day     * This will be a priority item for space improvement day
   * Update   * Update
-    * Keith completed all wiring runs with essentially no help - need termination and cameras installed+    * Keith completed all wiring runs - need termination and cameras installed 
 +  * Tony expressed concern that we should set a retention period to minimize possible "fishing" through footage 
 +  * Board will look at a retention period after the camera system comes fully on line
  
  ==== Willy's Boat ====   ==== Willy's Boat ==== 
Line 89: Line 119:
     * Lance spoke with Willy and he believes he is two months behind     * Lance spoke with Willy and he believes he is two months behind
     * Project continues to be live     * Project continues to be live
 +  * Dan and Lance have seen Willy working on the project, but it will likely not be ready for Maker Faire
 +  * Board will continue to monitor the project
  
  ==== Member Survey ====  ==== Member Survey ====
   * **Previous status**   * **Previous status**
     * Keith will work with Lance on the member survey     * Keith will work with Lance on the member survey
 +  * Carl volunteered to take this on, and sync up with Brant to get some input
 +  * Lance forwarded the most recent member survey for reference
  
  ==== Signs & Awnings Outside ====  ==== Signs & Awnings Outside ====
Line 99: Line 133:
     * Tom and Carl to work on the application to the city including a drawing     * Tom and Carl to work on the application to the city including a drawing
     * Tom and Carl to add this to the member survey since the cost is close to $1000.     * Tom and Carl to add this to the member survey since the cost is close to $1000.
 +  * Carl has photos and needs to do the mockups
  
  ==== Improvements to Entryways & Meeting area ====  ==== Improvements to Entryways & Meeting area ====
Line 105: Line 140:
     * Carl presented a design for the lounge/lobby to the board. Attendees had questions and suggestions on the proposed idea.     * Carl presented a design for the lounge/lobby to the board. Attendees had questions and suggestions on the proposed idea.
     * Carl will continue this as an individual project, or if he feels he needs more authorization or to request funds.     * Carl will continue this as an individual project, or if he feels he needs more authorization or to request funds.
 +  * Carl continues to work on design
 +  * Will not be on the agenda until Carl wants further approval and has a further-along design
  
 ==== Craft Lab II: Trade Craft! ==== ==== Craft Lab II: Trade Craft! ====
Line 110: Line 147:
      * The board discussed possibly making a larger area comprised of some of the smaller current areas.      * The board discussed possibly making a larger area comprised of some of the smaller current areas.
      * Board to look at this again in September/October      * Board to look at this again in September/October
 +   * Deferred - DL not present
  
 ==== End of Year Filings ==== ==== End of Year Filings ====
-  * Our CPA has retired, and is not returning calls +  * ** Previous** 
-  * Dan and Tom to work on filling in the forms, Adrian to help if required +    * Our CPA has retired, and is not returning calls 
-  * We are late in filing our forms, and Dan is addressing this+    * Dan and Tom to work on filling in the forms, Adrian to help if required 
 +    * We are late in filing our forms, and Dan is addressing this 
 +  * Dan has filed the forms, so far no news from the IRS so hopefully no problems
  
 ==== Long-term Budgeting ==== ==== Long-term Budgeting ====
Line 120: Line 160:
     * Adrian suggested we should be setting aside a budget for large building expenditures     * Adrian suggested we should be setting aside a budget for large building expenditures
     * Board discussed how to operationally do this, agreed we need to determine what costs to forecast     * Board discussed how to operationally do this, agreed we need to determine what costs to forecast
 +  * Adrian will work on this more after Maker Faire
  
-==== Maker Faire === +==== Maker Faire ====
   * **Last Status**   * **Last Status**
     * The board agreed to have a question on supporting Maker Faire 2017 on the annual survey     * The board agreed to have a question on supporting Maker Faire 2017 on the annual survey
-    * The board 5-1 to approve the position of area champion for maker faire (Keith voted no)+    * The board **voted** 5-1 to approve the position of area champion for Maker Faire (Keith voted no)
     * All the board members present **voted** unanimously to approve 4 stipends for other Maker Spaces at $250/per to reimburse actual travel expenses to send a representative to Maker Faire     * All the board members present **voted** unanimously to approve 4 stipends for other Maker Spaces at $250/per to reimburse actual travel expenses to send a representative to Maker Faire
     * Additional stipends can be made by individual donation by members     * Additional stipends can be made by individual donation by members
 +  * Brant has one Maker Space that has expressed interest - Lance responded
 +  * Lance raised the question about renting a truck to transport projects to Maker Faire
 +    * Dan will send an email to try to figure out how many people and projects need to be transported
 +    * The board **voted** unanimously to authorize $250 or less for truck rental
 +  * Carl reviewed the list of people expecting to be part of the Milwaukee Makerspace booth at the Faire - Carl has secured a 10x30 space for the booth
 +    * Shane will be working on signage for the booth
 +  * Carl to start a thread on the boards on what should be taken to the Faire
 +  * Amy is coordinating a party for Saturday night - the board unanimously **voted** to approve $250 for funding the party
  
 ==== Member Free Storage Space ==== ==== Member Free Storage Space ====
Line 134: Line 182:
     * DL expects to have all the space inventory wrapped up in the next few weeks     * DL expects to have all the space inventory wrapped up in the next few weeks
   * Pallet racks installed 8/28 - need plywood or other "floor"   * Pallet racks installed 8/28 - need plywood or other "floor"
 +  * Carl and Adrian to inquire with Lowes if they would give us the same discount they are providing for Maker Faire
  
 ==== Vault Activity (or lack thereof) ==== ==== Vault Activity (or lack thereof) ====
Line 139: Line 188:
   * **Last Status**    * **Last Status** 
     * The board agreed Lance should put notes under the door of the vaults and ask for "are you using this vault"?     * The board agreed Lance should put notes under the door of the vaults and ask for "are you using this vault"?
 +  * Almost all vaults reported as active, vaults 5, 8 and 9 have not reported in
 +  * The board discussed what changes to make with storage if any - no particular conclusions were reached
 +  * Consulting key fob records, it was determined that the members renting these vaults are not frequent users of the space
 +  * Carl will draft an email that we can send to these members asking that they consider giving up their vaults
  
 ==== Calendars / Class Signups / Events ==== ==== Calendars / Class Signups / Events ====
Line 145: Line 198:
   * Keith will look in to this   * Keith will look in to this
   * Dan says the next version of Wild Apricot may very well have some help for us   * Dan says the next version of Wild Apricot may very well have some help for us
 +  * Still pending
  
 ==== Website redesign proposal ==== ==== Website redesign proposal ====
   * **Last status**   * **Last status**
     * Carl to continue with his new design ideas and put up a parallel version next to our current site for further feedback.     * Carl to continue with his new design ideas and put up a parallel version next to our current site for further feedback.
 +  * No update
    
 ==== Weapons and Firearms at the 'space - do we need clarification on what is acceptable ==== ==== Weapons and Firearms at the 'space - do we need clarification on what is acceptable ====
   * **Last status**   * **Last status**
     * A FAQ should be put out to clarify that it is illegal to manufacture firearms at the space.     * A FAQ should be put out to clarify that it is illegal to manufacture firearms at the space.
 +  * Lance added this FAQ
  
 ===== New Business ===== ===== New Business =====
Line 165: Line 221:
 > >
 >  You can read more about the plaque program here: http://city.milwaukee.gov/cityclerk/hpc/hpcplaques >  You can read more about the plaque program here: http://city.milwaukee.gov/cityclerk/hpc/hpcplaques
 +
 +  * The board discussed the proposal and felt we were not comfortable spending the members dues to donate to Historic Milwaukee, but that we would support asking the membership for a donation. - Keith will follow up with Brant
 +
 +  * Pete Maher present to discuss an internet proposal for Maker Faire
 +    * Pete owns a company that does wireless internet, is working on wireless for Maker Faire
 +    * Also interested in redoing the internet service for the Makerspace
 +    * Additionally would rework the wireless within the space including new access points
 +    * This would be in largely in exchange for recognition and being able to get good will with members
 +    * Tony will liaise with Pete on a proposal for the space
 +
 +  * Proposal from Rick B to merge anodizing, powder coating and metal finishing areas
 +    * Rick presented his proposed floorplan
 +    * The board unanimously **voted** to merge the areas and make Rick area champion for the finishing area
 +
 +  * Authorize Kayla to bring in a sand mixer for resin bonded sand casting
 +    * The board discussed that this area (just outside the Kuka room) seems to get very cluttered
 +    * The mixer is at the space today, but it is unclear if Kayla is intending for it to stay
 +    * This raised discussion on where the vacuum former should/would go, as Kayla proposed it leave it's current space
 +    * The board **voted** to authorize the sand mixer into the space, but it must be fit into existing area space for casting (not by moving the vacuum former). The pending reorganization of the craft area (craft lab 2) will further address this.
 +
 +  * Approve Danielle as photo booth champion - after much discussion on whether the photo booth was an area, the board **voted** unanimously to approve Danielle as photo booth area champion
 +
 +  * Issue reported by Jay Kewin
 +    * Jay came to the board last month with a report of an interaction with Jim Rawson, which made her very uncomfortable. She felt that Jim was harassing her
 +    * Jim has a history of friction with other members
 +    * Several board members have also had direct interactions with him that make this a credible report
 +    * The board discussed whether this warranted a formal warning, or what other action we should take
 +    * Adrian will draft a letter to Jim and asking for a written response on his explanation of the encounter, with a date by which we require a response. The letter will be reviewed by the board prior to being sent.
  
 ===== Good of the Space ===== ===== Good of the Space =====
 +  * Adam asked about whether the space would support a mural by a friend of the space (Jenny) on the outside of the building
 +    * Lance is concerned the mural be able to be maintained in the event it is tagged by graffiti
 +    * Carl supports the idea
 +    * Adrian would not support painting any of the walls that were brick
 +    * Lance mentioned that we would need to pursue any permitting as well
 +    * Adam asked if the board would match funds to pay for the mural, possibly as much as $1,500 and Lance said that that level of funding would need to go to the membership
 +    * Carl encouraged Adam to do a bit more research and to come to the membership possibly with the design
 +    * Adam will do a bit more legwork and revisit this
  
 ===== Announcements ===== ===== Announcements =====
  
 ===== Close ===== ===== Close =====
-The meeting was adjourned at __time__+The meeting was adjourned at 9:25
boardmeetingagenda/2016-09-15.txt · Last modified: 2016/09/16 15:29 by raster