User Tools

Site Tools


Table of Contents

Milwaukee Makerspace Board of Directors Meeting - May 19, 2016

Held at the Milwaukee Makerspace craft lab



Keith, Lance, Harvey, Dan, DL


Carl, Adrian


Steve Pilon, Tom Kline, Steffanie Maher, Markus Schneider


Meeting was called to order at 7:40 by Lance.

Review and approval of the Minutes of the previous meeting

The meeting minutes from the previous meeting were approved.

Reports of Boards and Standing Committees

Treasurers Report

  • We lost 3 members over last month, currently 247 members
  • Spending is consistent month-to-month
  • Tormach CNC purchases are distorting income up a bit, as is the building purchase last year. Accounting for these distortions, all seems well.

New Equipment/Donations

  • Previous
    • DL will look into setting up an inventory system for space equipment.
    • DL wants to go low-ish tech, and print out barcodes and maintain the inventory, and will work on demoing the solution in the next month or two
    • Several people suggested we use Google Sheets
    • May want help with programming-ish things, Keith and Dan can help
  • DL has barcode software, Harvey has offered to help inventory
  • New donations from previous Kuka owner
    • Previous status - Adrian to contact Gerry and get more details on items, or visit and determine what we can use
    • No update

Building Maintenance/Issues

  • Roof Flashing - Add to space improvement day list if the weather is good
  • Dumpster Pad needs repair
    • DL will call Advanced about moving the dumpster to the South end of the alley
    • Lance suggests we make the current spot into a parking space
  • Self-filling water cooler - presuming this is fixed

Reports of Special (Select) Committees

New tri-fold for the 'space

  • Previous Status Order has been placed and tri-folds printed, Tom Gr will pick up and deliver
  • Inter-meeting update - tri-folds availble

Space Projects Update

4x8 CNC Plasma Cutter

  • Current target for completion is May
  • Previous status
    • Steve needs help from a machinist, Carl will follow up with him
    • Mark Ownley (present at the meeting) also volunteered to help
  • Steve and Marc to meet on Sunday 5/22 and do some preliminary work on the cutter, and will come up with an estimated date of completion. Steve's current thinking is end of August.


  • Previous status
    • Previous owner wants the pendant, and possibly a board from the cabinet back if we dispose of the Kuka.
    • Jake is using the Kuka until August for his project
    • DL will follow up with Jake and ask him to rent the space. The footprint of the robot needs to be shrunk by the end of April
  • Lance told Jake that he needs to pay for the floorspace. Jake is paying $10/month for the space.

Vacuum Former

  • Previous status Adrian will send out an email asking for interest on the vacuum former
  • No progress
  • Keith will send an email this month

Poster design contest

  • Previous status The board approved a competition to create a new poster for the space, with a cash prize of $25 - Lance to lead
  • No progress

Wood shop dust collection

  • Previous status The board agreed that we want to pursue a dust collection system for the wood shop
  • Steve Pilon is working on a plan and will be sending it to the board, estimating less than $2,000

Unfinished Business

Sequestering area fund donations

  • Dan is reporting on both general fund and area fund balances in the treasurers report now

Building Insurance

  • Previous Status Dan needed one more contact with the insurance agent to confirm this has been done
  • No update

Property tax exemption

  • Previous Status Tom Gr. to provide the forms to the board by the end of the April
  • Dan will review the forms and provide feedback to Tom

Utility rates

  • Previous Status Lance to fill out the forms for WE Energies
  • Lance has the forms done and will be faxing to WE Energies this week

Wild Apricot Transition

  • Previous Status Keith has imported WA into a test QuickBooks company and it seems to work fine. Needs follow-up with Dan to determine next steps
  • Lance asked what our goal is and whether we need to change
  • Dan says it would be easier to budget and forecast, and perhaps provide to an accountant
  • While doable, the payoff for the amount of effort vs. using Mint seems low
  • The board voted unanimously to take no further action on this for the foreseeable future

New camera system

  • Previous Status
    • Chris H pointed out many of the cable runs are already in place
    • Lance says we did not put a camera outside the North wall looking at the Otjen/Lenox door.
    • This was added to Space Improvement Day in April
  • Inter-meeting Update
    • Two cable drops moved from the back vault hall to the CNC room and over the Jewelry area for camera hook up
    • CNC room camera operational
    • Additional drop pulled from behind the leatherworking area and moved to the East end of the vault hallway
    • Fourth drop pulled from the vault hallway currently unused on top of the vaults - could be used to replace short run to the current camera that's dangling from the ceiling in the vault hallway
  • Further action on this during space improvement day

Donations via QRCodes - Keith

  • Previous status
    • Keith will set up all areas in Wild Apricot
    • QR codes are available to Area Champions on request
  • Inter-meeting update - all areas set up in Wild Apricot

Start maintaining a petty cash box in the building

  • Previous status The board voted unanimously to keep a petty cash box in the building
  • Inter-meeting update - cash box installed
  • Dan to provide keys to the board members

VoIP Phone System Removal

  • Previous status The board voted unanimously to have Chris remove the decommissioned equipment
  • Inter-meeting update - equipment removed

MMS Webpage

  • Previous Status The board voted to approve Chris' proposal to move our hosting to a new provider, so long as it's not a long-term contract
  • Chris is renting the new server and the transition has started

911 service at the 'space

  • Previous status 911 phone is now at the front desk in the top-right drawer, Lance wants to mount the phone in an obvious location - added as a Space Improvement Day project
  • Inter-meeting update - phone mounted
  • Keith will follow up with Shane on getting a phone to install by each door

Discuss Schedule for Rotating Board Members at front desk on Tuesdays.

  • Previous status DL will put together a sign up sheet on the bulletin board
  • DL will do this, and new member orientation too

Willy's Boat

  • Previous status
    • The board will continue to request updates and monitor the progress
    • Lance says Willy expects to be done before August

Situation about membership of Jay Carver

  • Previous status DL will provide a draft communication for the board to review
  • DL to try to do this in the next week

Space Improvement day 2016 goals and making sure maintenance items are done

  • Previous status Keith will update the Wiki page, DL will provide contents
  • This item is under control and won't be on the agenda going forward

Changes to space rental policy w.r.t. late payments

  • Previous status DL will send out the draft of the new policy for review before next meeting
  • DL will provide an policy

Changes to bylaws and member handbook w.r.t. illegal activities undertaken by members

  • Previous status Keith will draft amendments to the bylaws and member handbook
  • Inter-meeting update
    • draft circulated to Board for comment
    • member input solicited on members-only board
  • Keith stated there seemed to be evenly divided opinion on whether the board or the membership should do this. The easiest solution would be to not revise the bylaws, but allow the board to immediately suspend a member if there was reasonable suspicion of illegal activities. Keith also proposed that violence or threats of violence also be cause for immediate suspension.
  • Keith will revise the code of conduct to allow for immediate suspension in these cases, and provide a draft to the board for review

Member Survey

  • Previous status Lance will coordinate a new member survey
  • Lance will ping Brant

Signs & Awnings Outside

  • DL will ask Tom Gr to check into ordinances and requirements for awnings and signage

Improvements to Entryways & Meeting area

  • Tom Gr provided some new chairs for the meeting areas
  • Deferred until Carl is available next meeting

Update Web Site

  • Deferred until Carl is available

Socialize Area Champions Responsibilities?

  • Previous status
    • DL will send out the responsibilities to the current champions and ask for input
  • Keith to send out the email

Appoint Co-treasurer(s) from outside BOD

  • Previous status Keith will propose an amendment to the bylaws to allow named board members to appoint support committees, subject to a veto by a majority of the board
  • Inter-meeting update - draft circulated to Board for comment
  • Board agreed with the draft, we will bundle along with any other proposed amendments to present to membership

New Business

Location of Tormach CNC

Markus, Steve and Tom asked the board about where to put the Tormach. The board concluded that if no area boundaries are moved, the area champions are free to work this out. If area boundaries are shifted they will come to the board for approval.

Where should the picnic table go?

  • The board discussed where the picnic table should go this year
  • The board decided it will go by the Otjen door

Approve Hal Crossno as screen printing area champion

The board voted unanimously to approve Hal

Revisions to bylaws to account for family membership

Tabled for a meeting specifically on bylaws

Revisions to bylaws to allow hardship suspension of membership

Tabled for a meeting specifically on bylaws

Cintas Service vs Cost - Dan J.

Right now we’re paying Cintas for 2 things:

  • Restroom cleaning (Once a month) $82 –> $82/month
  • Mat service (Weekly) $31 –> $124/month

I’m quite happy with the improvement in restroom cleanliness, but I really don’t feel like we are getting our money’s worth for the mats. Personally I’d like to cancel the mats entirely, but at the very least maybe we could rotate them less often?

  • The board voted to move to once a month on mats

Craft Lab II: Trade Craft!

  • The board discussed possibly making a larger area comprised of some of the smaller current areas.
  • Member storage space is an issue, although Keith pointed out the wide variety of storage volumes, and perhaps subdividing shelf space. This didn't seem reasonable on discussion.
  • Several shelves seem to be empty although they have names. Several lockers are also empty. Lance and DL indicated that based on the last inventory shelf assignments to active members were relatively ok, but that may have changed in the last two months.
  • DL suggested maybe not allowing more than one shelf for a single member, or making the top shelves available for this
  • DL will send out an announcement to the membership on our plans to reorganize the smaller areas into a larger one on June 5 Space Improvement Day. This will include Daleks, Leather / Candle area, screen printing and possibly others

Good of the Space

  • Calendars are a challenge, only board members can update the GCal, the groups aren't well suited to signing up for classes, not everyone has access to update the Wiki (or the knowledge about how to do so)
    • DL mentions Wild Apricot might work for events for this
    • Carl is digging into the Google APIs and we might be able to automate posting to the calendar



The meeting was adjourned at 9:10

boardmeetingagenda/2016-05-19.txt · Last modified: 2019/02/23 02:00 by raster