User Tools

Site Tools


October 15, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting Time: 7:00pm

Location: Craft Lab

Board Members Present: Lance L., Joe R., Vishal R., Dan J., Tom Gr., Deboralynn S.

Board Members Absent: Felisha W.

Meeting Started


Treasurer's Report

  • $3,600 were spent on Maker Faire, $2000 were spent on insurance this month
  • Previous Action Item: Joe will talk to WE energies about our utility rates
    • Step 1 is done, Step 2 is to fax the documents. Step 2 will be finished soon
  • Previous Action Item: Dan to review Paypal accounts and what fees we can use now that we're a non profit - waiting on Paypal Customer Service
  • No Updates on this topic. Dan has been spending his time on the Wild Apricot transition.

Wild Apricot Transition:

  • DL imported Keys. - Done. Will have storage info completed by 10/17
  • There will be a single sign on for wild apricot, makerspace wordpress site, and the wiki.
  • Dan will add a button on the site for the member portal
  • Dan mentioned that the transition has gone well
  • The rest of the membership will be transitioned this weekend
  • Dan will write a new cheat sheet for the sign up process

* Tax Exemption has been setup for Weld Specialties * Action Item for Lance - Write a thank you letter to our wonderful snow plower and offer tax exempt letter

Building ownership/purchasing shares progress

  • The lawyer is compiling the paperwork
  • The space will tentatively own the building by January 1st


  • Matt N. extra storage space: CNC router in the Kuka room and cart in the east room.
    • Matt has more than 100 sq ft. of floor storage. More than 100 sq. ft. is not allowed
    • Matt was storing a project in the meeting room for 3 weeks without a green parking ticket
    • His cart in the east room was larger than the allotted amount and was stored for longer than (3) months
    • Matt signed his own parking ticket which is supposed to be only allowable by area champions and board members
    • Matt will be sent a notice to abide by the storage policies and compress his storage space to a maximum of 100 sq. ft.
    • Action Item for DL - She will write the letter to Matt

Building Topics

  • New camera system
    • Scott S. needs more information
    • Dan will provide it

Member/Space Projects Update

  • 4×8 CNC Plasma Cutter
    • Previous estimated date for completion: October 2015
      • Electronics were placed in a plastic cabinet instead of the metal one
  • Kuka
    • Previous action item: Joe will contact the Kuka donor to see if they want the control cabinet back
      • No response from the previous Kuka owner
      • Action item for Joe He will send a certified letter to the owner
  • Induction Furnace
    • Previous estimated date for completion: October 2015
      • Tom made some progress on it
  • Dust collection system
    • Action Item for Vishal - Follow up with communicators to Hastings Energy

New equipment/donations

  • Wood Lathe in the East Room
    • Previous Action Item Joe will be taking it back
      • It is gone!


  • Space improvement day
    • The power wheels and plotter area will be deep cleaned
    • DL mentioned that the impound lot is getting smaller
  • New member orientation
    • The participation has been very low
    • Joe mentioned that we should post posters
    • Tom will do the orientation this month
    • Vishal suggested switching it to Thursday night.
    • Tom suggested roving nights. Switch between Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.
    • Tom suggested that storage could be assigned at the end of the orientation
    • Lance mentioned that new members might have to wait almost a month before they get their shelves
    • Joe thinks it helps build the community
    • Lance suggested that maybe members shouldn't be able to sign up till they go through an orientation
    • Tom brought up the topic of a video recording the training instead
    • DL mentioned that she has some great software to do it
    • Vishal suggested that the video shouldn't be longer than 15 minutes
    • Tom and Lance are willing to do the voiceover
    • DL, Lance, and Tom will work on content
  • Safety
    • Winter is coming
    • DL suggested a new rubber backed carpet for the main door
    • Joe inquired about renting the carpets so a service could replace and clean them for us
    • Joe suggests that we should get a 4×8
    • DL will send dollar numbers for carpet purchase
    • Tom mentioned that we should have carpets on the ramp as well. Rubber mats don't capture enough.
    • Tom will call a mat service to get some numbers

Any topics from members who are present

  • Discuss future of Power Wheels Area
    • Joe mentioned that the power wheels group felt like they were being kicked out instead of consolidating
    • DL mentioned that her conversation with the group members did not state that they were getting kicked out
    • Dan mentioned that a member brought a concern that a few other members are not using their rental space productively and simply use the space as a sorage facility
    • Lance said he can see where this person is coming from
    • Dan mentioned that floor spaces should not be only used for storage
    • Joe mentioned that the Power Wheels will take up whatever area is allocated to it. Therefore it is fine if their allocated space is reduced
    • DL mentioned that space allocation can be flexible.
    • Lance mentioned a tiered space storage system. The rental price goes up over time.
    • Joe mentioned that the vaults should be more expensive than a storage facility
    • Tom doesn't want to price out productive members
    • DL mentioned that storage space in Brookfield is $1.29/sq ft and $1.00/sq ft at the space
    • The power wheels area will be compressed to (3) pallets on space improvement day
    • Jon H. has requested that the area to be vacated be used for building Daleks for the next 3-4 months
    • Dan likes it as a medium terms Dalek facility
    • Dan mentioned that Tom's clock could have made good use of the space
    • Lance asked if that area could possibly serve as permanent group project space
    • Joe likes the idea but doesn't think we need to formalize anything
    • Tom doesn't think we need to define it as a group space
  • Vote Reimburse Pete for up to $30 of ink and paper for BN Maker Faire - (5) voted yes, Joe voted no, Felisha was absent
  • Joe suggested a CAD/Computer station for the space
  • Dan suggested the pinball area
  • Lance mentioned that the ChipKit class would have gone smoother if computers were already setup with the correct software and drivers
  • Tom thinks that this is a good idea and we should think through it
  • Tom suggested putting it in one of the vaults
  • Joe mentioned that he liked that social aspect of having the tables in the classroom
  • Tom suggested putting the computers underneath the conference table
  • There will be more discussion on this topic.
boardmeetingagenda/2015-10-15.txt · Last modified: 2015/10/18 18:29 by vrana54