User Tools

Site Tools


This is an old revision of the document!

July 16, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting Time: 7:00pm

Location: Craft Lab

Board Members Present: All (7)

Meeting Started


Treasurer's Report

  • $18,000 was moved from checking to savings account
  • Previous Action Item: Joe will talk to WE energies about our utility rates
    • We can get rid of taxes on our utility. That will amount to $100 per month.
  • Previous Action Item: Joe and Dan to review Paypal, Square, etc accounts and what fees we can use now that we're a non profit
  • No updates on this item
  • Dan asked about status of area champion budget requests
  • Joe mentioned that we need membership input into deciding budget allocation
  • Lance thinks that membership will understand the disparity in budget allocation
  • Joe proposes that membership should be able to allocate funds to different
  • Dan talked about how this could be implemented in Wild Apricot
    • Action Item Dan will implement memerbship payment in wild apricot
  • Tom thinks that we should implement one time payment but
  • Joe mentioned that donation boxes should be able to use the donation
  • Dan mentioned that area champion should be able to use the donation
  • Vote remove locks from donation boxes - receipts from all purchases should be returned to the donation boxes - All (7) say yes

Wild Apricot testing

  • Previous Action Item: DL will update Wild Apricot splash page with wiki page,etc. (on hold by DL until privacy issues are addressed)
  • Previous Action Item: DL is going to create do transition instructions (on hold by DL until privacy issues are addressed)
  • Dan and DL still agree that we should keep going forward with Wild Apricot
  • Wild Apricot funding needs to move over to the space credit card going forward or cancelled.
  • Action Item: Vishal to export keys from google app engine from Wild Apricot
  • Vote Pay for 1 year of WA - All (7) say yes

Building ownership/purchasing shares progress

  • Tom shared the draft email for purchase
  • Lance suggested that we should all read the email and provide feedback in (1) year


  • Question has been raised about time limit on warnings. Should a warning from 3 years ago still count towards suspension or at some point does the counter start over?
    • Lance mentioned that (1) year has been the informal
    • Tom mentioned that it takes a lot to get (3) warnings
    • Joe mentioned that someone with (4) suspensions
    • Tom doesn't think we don't need a sunset
    • DL asked for clarification about
    • Lance clarified the suspension and termination guidelines in bylaw
    • Felisha mentioned that the last warning took a lot of discussion and argument and that is a good thing
    • Tom agrees
    • Lnace mentioned that board doesn't need (3) warnings before
    • Felisha mentioned that it is to the discretion of the board
    • Vote Reaffirm current policies and procedures - All (7) votes yes
  • Concern has been raised raised that BOD members are not held to the same standards as members. There is the concern that some bod members are being given a free pass when they behave poorly.
    • Charles mentioned previously that Vishal was not furnished a warning upon
    • Felisha told him that he was given a warning
    • Lance mentioned that board members have recevied 33% of warnings.
    • Felisha that with almost 200 members, we are going to have interpersonal issues
    • DL mentioned
    • Joe mentioned that board members and others members have yelled at each other
  • Request to rescind warning given to Charles and to re-instate as electronics area champion.
    • Based on the single Charles' incident about following people around, he deserves a warning.
    • Charles doesn't believe he was given enough opportunity to defend himself
    • Lance mentioned he was given a chance to defend himself
    • vote No change - all (7) say yes

Building Topics

  • Electric Kiln Ventilation - done
  • New camera system
  • no one is selling Dan anything
  • Dan mentioned that we bought a very specific camera system
  • Joe inquired about compatibility of cameras with DVR
  • Dan mentioned that we have very specific cameras that are not compatible with most systems
  • Scott will bring in this own system and see if it works with out system
  • “Who to Call” sheets located around building need to be updated. (2) out of (4) people listed are no longer board members.
    • Previous Action Item: Adrian and Maureen will update the who to call sheets. Done
  • Previous Action Item Lance will put together a new questionnaire for equipment usage
  • No updates yet

Member/Space Projects Update

  • 4×8 CNC Plasma Cutter
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July 2015
    • Cuts stuff
    • need to feed it G-code
    • New date for completion - August 2015
    • Joe has been conversing with members about consumables
    • DL mentioned that we could have consumables under lock and key for training purposes
    • Joe mentioned that members could be handed a kit of consumables when they are trained
    • Joe mentioned a maker store
    • Dan thinks it should not be a board level decision
    • Tom agrees with the idea of consumable kit
    • Lance said that Chris H. has though about vending machine
    • Tom doesn't think it has to be sophisticated
    • Vishal mentioned an honor system
    • Felisha mentioned that soda incident
    • Lance mentioned that Honor system never works - never worked
    • Lance mentioned a bounty
    • Tom said that they could keep profits - that is the bounty
    • Vishal mentioned that BAM has one
    • Lance mentioned that it doesn't feel like board wants to implement anything. Tool owners can choose as necessary
    • Board actively welcomes running a maker store.
    • Lance that how does liability work
  • 4×8 CNC Router
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July, 2015
    • Steve is making a dust shoe
    • Tom is getting trained on it now
  • Kuka
    • Previous action item: Joe will contact the Kuka donor to see if they want the control cabinet back
    • No updates
  • “Red Dragon” RA-1F Vertical Mill
  • eats chips - done!
  • several people are trained on it now
  • Induction Furnace
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July 2015
    • still needs wiring and connection
    • New completion date - October 2015
  • Large format plotters
    • Previous Action Item BBCM will inspect grey printer and follow up with DL
      • BBCM is not interested
      • No interest when posted on craigslist
      • will be donated to ReStore
      • Joe asked if we should put it in impound lot
      • (vote) put it in impound lot - all (7) votes yes
  • New Green Vaccuum Former
    • Area champion Dan requested consumables
    • Dan mentioned that board doesn't provide consumables
    • Tom agreed
    • Done!
  • Dust collection system
    • will be discussed in more details next month
    • waiting for proposal

New equipment/donations

  • Wood Lathe in the East Room
    • Joe asked Steve if he wants it in the wood shop
    • Joe will be taking it back
  • Table saw
    • It is installed and connected
    • Dust collection port is also installed
    • Old table saw will be going away this weekend


  • Previous Action Item: Joe mentioned holding a summer science fair
    • Lance will talk to Colleen to see if she wants to make it happen
      • No updates
      • will not happen
      • it shall go away
  • Sunday, the 26th is the space improvement day
  • 4-5 people needed to clean the woodshop
  • Lance mentioned that we need to deep clean one area a month
  • DL mentioned that we need an eye wash station, single use saline
  • DL wants to put one eye wash near each fire extinguisher
  • DL - Also first aid near each fire extinguisher
  • We have (15) fire extinguishers
  • Joe mentioned that we could put first aid in every bathroom
  • Tom mentioned 1-2 big eye wash station in the building. single use near each fire extinguisher
  • Lance mentioned a Difibulator
  • DL - (15) single use, 1-2 eye wash station, one(1) first aid in each
  • we have (4) first aids already
  • vote $100 budget for more first aid kits - all vote say yes
  • vote $100 budget for more eye wash nuts - all vote say yes
  • New member orientation on August 1st
    • Tom said he would do one
  • Safety
    • DL mentioned we need spares for rotations
    • We need signs for fire extinguisher signs
    • Tom has (2) spare 20 lb he doesn't use.

Any topics from members who are present

  • Maker Faire Party
    • $200 budget for party - all (7) vote yes
  • Policy for non payment
    • several rental space members have been paying late regularly
    • Tom mentioned that they could lose right to storage space for a year
    • Felisha mentioned that is they are late and there is no waiting list, they are not inconveniencing anybody
    • Lance mentioned that they could go to back of line
    • Vote: Effective August 1st - (3) late payments for rental space (After 1st of the month) over rolling (12) month period, results in forfeiture of rental space for locations where there is a waiting list for - Payments will be applied to membership fees, before they are applied to rental space dues - All (7) vote yes
boardmeetingagenda/2015-07-16_draft.1437097302.txt.gz · Last modified: 2015/07/17 01:41 by vrana54