User Tools

Site Tools


May 21, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting Time: 7:00pm Location: Lenox, Meeting Room

Meeting Started


Treasurer's Report

  • Action Item: Joe will talk to WE energies about our utility rates
  • Previous Action Item: Joe and Dan to review Paypal, Square, etc accounts and what fees we can use now that we're a non profit
    • No updates this month
  • Previous Action Item: Joe to signup a new PayPal account for the space as a commercial entity, so that we can used PayPal for physical card processing.
    • we're off of square and fully on paypal
    • we have an permanently deployed android phone ready to accept payment
  • Pay the CPA $450 for doing our taxes - All (7) board members vote yes

Wild Apricot testing

  • Previous Action Item: DL will up update Wild Apricot splash page with wiki page,etc.
    • No updates this month
  • Previous Action Item: DL is going to create do transition instructions
    • Halfway done
  • Previous Action Item: Dan will work on setting up Wild Apricot under “”
    • Done
  • Previous Action Item: Dan will update wild apricot site branding (CSS, etc.) to match
    • Halfway done

Building ownership/purchasing shares report progress

  • Previous Action Item: Tom to present a building purchase options report
    • Tom will email financial details to the board
    • Tom mentioned that Commercial Bank will need 20% for downpayment
    • They will require 6 months operating reserve
    • Tom mentioned that Landmark doesn't do commercial loans
    • Lance suggests we should look at grants
    • Lance suggested we could talk to our Alderman
    • Felisha will talk to a resource she knows about possible grants


Building Topics

  • Wiring
    • Jewelry Area has power drop
    • There is a new pole in class room
  • Proposed West Room Changes
    • Previous Action Item: DL will redraw West Room and send it to the board
    • DL presented plan
    • The board had previously approved DL's plan and encouraged her to go forward with it.
    • Joe inquired about Kuka computer wire length
    • Dan asked about Maker Faire Area
    • DL said space requirements for Maker Faire Area are fast approaching
  • Electric Kiln Ventilation
    • Previous Action Item: Any progress on this since last meeting?
      • It is up and running
      • Frame and motor are done
      • Brant is working on Hood now
      • Joe asked if we can side vent
      • DL and Brant looked up building code and we are compatible
      • The board praised Brant's continual hard work around the space.
  • Previous Action Item Dan J. to purchase new camera system
  • Camera system is in transit
  • Deactivated Cell Phones around building for 911 use.
    • Shane is working on it and making good progress
    • Joe will offer more phones to Shane
  • “Who to Call” sheets located around building need to be updated. (2) out of (4) people listed are no longer board members.
    • Previous Action Item: Dan will update the who to call sheets.
    • Dan couldn't find the original template so he'll remake the sheets
  • Previous Action Item Lance will put together a new questionnaire for equipment usage
  • No updates this month

Member/Space Projects Update

  • 4×8 CNC Plasma Cutter
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July 2015
    • Box has been mounted
    • Wiring within the box has been mounted
    • Sensors are wired up
    • Estimated completion date remains the same
  • 4×8 CNC Router
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July, 2015
    • CNC Router is just waiting to be moved to the CNC room
    • Estimated completion date remains the same
  • Kuka
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July, 2015
    • Matt carved a hole in the blocks. About to turn it around
    • Should the wood shop dust collector be moved to the CNC Room
    • Felisha thinks the current wood shop collector needs new filters
    • We should ask dust collector owner before moving or modifying it
    • Move the dust collector to the new CNC Room - All (7) say yes
    • Matt proposed a sign up process for the CNC room
    • Board felt it was unnecessary at this time
    • Estimated completion date remains the same
  • “Red Dragon” RA-1F Vertical Mill update
    • No updates
    • Lance has a model for milling
  • Induction Furnace
    • Previous estimated date for completion: July 2015
    • Should be strapped to pallet by next meeting
    • Pallet is 50“x48”
    • Estimated completion date remains the same
  • Large format plotters
    • Previous Action Item Steve will try to sell grey printer, if it’s not sold in 30 days, it’ll be scrapped
    • Brant approached Steve about selling it - no response
    • The printer was donated to the space
    • Steve will contact Ed Hagopian to see if we call sell it
    • DL will contact Kevin from master graphics to see if they can resell it for us
  • New Green Vaccuum Former
    • Dan Johnson is the new area champion for it
    • Akai donated plywood for space use
  • Vaccuum Former being built by Mykal
    • Previous Action Item: DL is going to follow up with Mykal
    • Mykal decommissioned the project and reclaimed his items
  • Cartesian Printer
    • DL asked if it is ready to go
    • Tom said he can train on it right away
    • Lance inquired if the cartridges will dry out
    • Tom mentioned that allegedly not

New equipment/donations

  • Jake offered metalworking tools - English Wheel, compact forge
    • Won't require extra space
    • All (7) board members approved new equipment
  • Cart of Computers
    • DL said what we should remove it asap
    • Dan said let's put it up for grabs
    • The monitors will be put up for grabs as well
    • Mike brought in computers that received a 30 day pass
      • He has added additional equipment since
      • Dan will talk to Mike


  • Previous Action Item: Joe mentioned holding a summer science fair
    • Lance thinks it is an awesome idea
    • Joe will look into making it happen
    • Lance will talk to Colleen to see if she wants to make it happen
  • Fixit Day
  • Previous Action Item: Vishal will talk to Jason Haas
  • He said that Pete organized it
  • Vishal will talk to Pete
  • Sunday, the 31st is the space improvement day
  • DL will buy burgers and brats
  • DL asked about converting grill to gas
  • Dan mentioned that Bill W. has a natural gas conversion kit
  • Tom may do a Trash and Cash class on this day
  • Saturday, June 6th is the New Member Class
    • Joe asked how well attended this class has been
    • Lance said 3-4 people
    • Tom said we need to shorten this class
    • Dan said he essentially offers a 5-10 minutes class every time he signs someone up
    • Tom says we need something longer than 5-10 minutes but less than 3 hours
    • We could have new members watch videos
      • Action Item - Vishal will contact hackerspace mailing list for examples

Any topics from members who are present

  • DL created a new area champions page here.
boardmeetingagenda/2015-05-21_draft.txt · Last modified: 2015/05/26 09:22 by vrana54