User Tools

Site Tools


boardmeetingagenda:2014-10-23

This is an old revision of the document!


Board Meeting Agenda for October 23rd, 2014

Meeting Time: 7pm
Location: Lenox, Meeting Room (moved from Craft Lab)

  1. 7:10 meeting started
  2. Legal/Financial:
    1. 7:11 Treasurer's Report
      1. JoeR indicated a report was not yet ready
      2. Later in the discussion Adrian asked why a report was not ready
        1. Joe apologized and said he had been sick this past week
        2. Adrian noted that regular reports help promote transparency, should other members raise concerns
        3. Joe and others agreed
    2. 7:13 New Board transition
      1. Lance, Brant, and Joe to arrange a time to meet and go to the bank to sign over accounts (this was arranged after the meeting)
    3. 7:14 Building keys
      1. Tiffany and Dan noted that more copies of the building key are needed
      2. Not all Board Members have a key yet
    4. 7:15 Building ownership/purchasing shares
      1. Joe indicated that he wishes to create a report for members that helps explain the purchase of building shares
      2. Dan and others agreed, Vishal volunteered to help
      3. Tom and Joe indicated they are working on getting a CMA report from a realtor
      4. A draft will be made available for the BOD to review and approve prior to sharing with others
    5. 7:17 Non-profit, 501c3 status
      1. TomG spoke with our CPA this week
      2. CPA has requested a spreadsheet for 2014 similar to the 2013 one provided
      3. CPA has reviewed other makerspaces and believes our non-profit application will be approved by the IRS
      4. Final approval may take 3-9 months
      5. IRS may request specific wording be revised in our By-Laws, this is yet to be determined
      6. Tom asked that we begin referring to the organization as “a community” or “educational group” and not a social club to better represent ourselves
      7. Tom noted that he paid the IRS application fee of $850 last year
      8. CPA's fees will likely total $500-$1,000, this is yet to be determined
      9. CPA is reviewing the possibility of members being able to write-off their own dues
    6. 7:19 State of Wisconsin, Annual Report
      1. Tom handed Lance a reminder notice we received in the mail from the State
      2. Lance agreed to complete the Annual Report online after the meeting (this was completed)
    7. 7:21 Mint.com
      1. Dan offered to link our bank accounts with Mint.com
      2. This would allow us to generate reports faster
      3. No one present objected to allowing Dan to do this
    8. 7:22 Quicken, accounting software progress
      1. Tom said Tony was reviewing the API to integrate the access control system with QuickBooks
  3. Policies and Procedures:
    1. 7:24 Floor Rental Spaces
      1. The group discussed a color-coded floor plan that Brant drafted clarifying where storage and projects should be located
        1. Tiffany asked that shelving, especially in the Craft Lab, be included
        2. An area for the 'Impound Lot' should be designated as well
        3. Vishal approved of the floor plan
        4. Dan asked that the floor plan be printed out and posted around the building once approved
        5. Tiffany later added that there should be “green” storage space in the Craft Lab, not “blue”
        6. Brant agreed to revise the floor plan and submit it to the BOD for review and approval
      2. Floor space remaining in the Vault Hallway
        1. Tiffany noted that after the lockers are relocated, there will be approximately 100 sq.ft. of floor space left
        2. Tiffany also noted that Liisa's storage could possibly be located in the East Room
        3. Brant asked if the BOD considered RichH's request for 80 sq.ft of floor space a personal or community area
          1. Tom and others agreed it would likely be considered personal space
          2. Will review more at a future time
        4. Tom suggested we start a waiting list for floor rental space, like we already have for vaults
        5. When asked, JimK noted he no longer needs the table space he previously requested
    2. 7:27 Vault Hallway Storage Options
      1. When considering areas that could be relocated to create more storage space, the group mostly agreed that the Paint Room should remain where it currently is
      2. The merits and conflicts of relocating the Pottery Area were briefly discussed
        1. Tom indicated that it should be located at an exterior wall to facilitate adding an exhaust fan in the future
        2. Tiffany noted that its location is preferable with respect to the typical guest tour route
        3. Tiffany and Lance discussed replacing the metal shelving (not the black wire racks) with lockers on the exterior wall
        4. Tiffany asked that we consider how to better show off or exhibit pottery work
        5. Tom said we still have yet to determine if the Pottery Area is cleaner or dirtier than adjacent work areas
        6. Tiffany said clean space will be needed for drying, finishing, and glazing
        7. Those present noted the Area Champions of the Pottery Area were not present
        8. Everyone agreed to discuss this further with the Area Champions before making any decisions
    3. 7:30 Relocating/Removing Lockers
      1. Tiffany indicated that she sent out emails to people with lockers
      2. No negative responses have been received
      3. Some members have requested locker space after they are moved
    4. 7:31 Managing Storage and Workspaces
      1. Lance asked how we define long-term and short-term projects
      2. Lance asked what the middle of the East Room should be used for
      3. Tom mentioned Lance's previous proposal to implement escalating floor rental rates
        1. Joe and others had concerns about the billing software
        2. Dan thought it sounded possible, but difficult and he is not capable of programming it
      4. 7:36 Intervals
        1. Tiffany felt that a 3 month period for long-term projects should be adequate
        2. Tom asked what do we do with a project that takes 3 months and 1 day?
        3. Tiffany suggested a one-time option to extend the storage for an additional 3 months
        4. Tom indicated he didn't care what the time periods were, just that they were consistent and enforceable
        5. Tiffany said no matter what we'll end up being subjective
        6. Tom felt without clear, concise guidelines we'll end up with 5 year-long projects
        7. Tom asked that whatever solution, that it be automatic and for everyone
        8. Lance was concerned that setting hard deadlines will risk booting someone out before they can finish
        9. Tiffany cited that we could always vote to exempt others on a case-by-case basis
        10. Tiffany cited that because the BOD previously voted to exempt Willie's boat project, that the vote meant we considered it storage and not an active project
          1. Others disagreed
          2. Tom and Lance indicated that Willie's boat project was grandfathered in and voted exempt from the other policies because those policies changed from when he first started
          3. Tom added that we made a commitment to Willie when he started his project and we should honor that
        11. Lance noted he liked the possibility of members taking on longer-term projects
        12. Tiffany again proposed long-term projects be limited to 3 months with a one-time option for a 3-month extension
        13. SteveP asked how frequently the BOD is approached about long-term projects or requests for project space
          1. Dan, Lance, and others noted it is almost weekly
      5. 7:42 East Room Project Space
        1. Lance asked if space in the middle of the East Room is ever available for free
          1. Tiffany and others said yes, with green parking permits
          2. Tiffany asked that the BOD help members determine where projects should be located
        2. Adrian asked about personal projects vs. group/space projects
          1. Adrian asked if other projects would be or have been grandfathered in like Willie's; perhaps the CNC projects
          2. Adrian noted those projects take up floor space
          3. Tiffany replied that those and other projects are considered group projects and are not private workspaces or storage
          4. Tom agreed and added that group projects will eventually benefit the space
          5. Lance agreed with Adrian and said he has some similar concerns
      6. 7:47 Other storage areas
        1. Tom asked how often the Women's Restroom Vestibule/Coat Room is used and could it be used for more Craft Lab Storage
        2. Tiffany was not opposed to the idea, but would prefer to keep men out of the women's room and vice versa
        3. Tom and Tiffany discussed possibly putting lockers or folding table storage in the Coat Rooms
      7. 7:48 Area Champions Adding Storage
        1. Lance asked what if Area Champions want to add public storage to their areas
        2. Lance asked if there would be any concerns if storage starting showing up in the West Room
        3. Joe was opposed and said it would create more clutter, less available space for equipment and supplies
        4. Lance suggested we hold off on addressing personal storage in workspaces until later
        5. Tom agreed
        6. Tiffany noted she wished to reverse her opinion; she could see how some members might take issue with personal storage kept in workspaces
        7. Steve asked what a members should do if they want to store something in an Area Champion's area vs. the East Room
        8. Tiffany replied that no one should be signing green parking permits for the East Room except Board Members
        9. Steve indicated that as an Area Champion, he does not want anyone storing things in the Wood Shop
        10. Tiffany reiterated she does not want anyone signing green parking permits for items in the East Room except Board Members and added the East Room does not have an Area Champion
        11. Tiffany explained that her concerns are that if Area Champions sign tickets for the East Room, the BOD will not be aware of them; the fewer people who can sign tickets, the better the BOD is kept aware of who has space reserved
        12. Lance noted that the goal here is to stop storing stuff in work areas and shops for long periods of time
      8. 7:50 Setup Work and Storage
        1. Vishal raised a concern about gluing and setting up work as some jobs are comprised of multiple steps which take longer than 24 hours total to complete
        2. Lexie asked if a signature is required on a green parking permit for the East Room
          1. Tiffany and others replied no, however the unsigned permit is only valid for 24 hours
        3. Lexie asked about projects in the East Room, who can sign for them so they can remain more than 24 hours?
          1. Tiffany gave an example of a sewing machine that was found in the East Room and moved to the Vault Hallway prior to Maker Faire
          2. Tiffany noted that the green parking permit on the sewing machine was signed by Lexie, but it belonged in the Craft Lab
          3. Tiffany said Lexie's signature is valid for items kept in the Craft Lab
          4. Tom stated he didn't care whose signature was on it, as long as the expiration date was observed; the time limits are the important part
    5. 8:01 Proposed changes to the Green Parking Permit/Red Parking Ticket System
  4. Check on progress of Building Topics/Projects:
    1. Chris Hemmerly's access to Server Room (Added by Lance)
  1. Events:
    1. Maker Faire 2014 Wrap-up
    2. Maker Faire 2015 Makerspace plans (Jim Kelly)
    3. Future Board Meetings (added by Brant)
      1. Bi-weekly or monthly?
      2. Discuss dates
  2. Any topics from members who are present
  1. Items that were tabled; not discussed at this meeting:
    1. Policies and Procedures:
      1. Proxy voting discussion (added by Brant based on BOD discussion)
      2. Vote to authorize funds for business cards (added by Brant)
      3. Area Champions Discussion - Their responsibilities & authority (Lance and Tiffany both had comments/thoughts to discuss)
    2. Check on progress of Member Projects:
      1. 4×8 CNC Plasma Cutter (Added by Brant, ask JoeR)
      2. 4×8 CNC Router (Added by Brant, ask SteveP)
      3. Kuka (MattN sent update to BOD via email prior to meeting)
      4. David H. requested space for “Misty Field” project
        1. Is this a group project or a member project?
      5. RA-1F Vertical Mill (Added by Brant, ask Tom/Joe)
      6. Rich H. requested space for machine shop desk/tooling (added by Brant based on BOD discussion)
    3. Check on progress of Building Topics/Projects:
      1. How are we doing on moving people out of east room, implementing rate increases?
      2. Snow Removal (added by Brant, prompted by Adrian)
    4. Other:
      1. Do we want to add Harrison Metals on our website as a sponsor? (added by Brant, asking Lance/Tom, was this just with regard to Maker Faire?)
      2. Adoption of Official BOD Seal/Logo? (added by Brant)

Board Meeting Agenda for October 23rd, 2014

Meeting Time: 7pm
Location: Lenox

  • 5 minute time limit per highest-level bullet point.
  • All members are welcome to attend, and non-board members can join the conversation when invited.
  1. Legal/Financial:
    1. Treasurer's Report (JoeR)
  2. Policies and Procedures:
    1. Floor Rental Spaces (added by Brant based on BOD discussion)
    2. Area Champions (who suggested this?)
      1. Responsibilities - what is expected of them?
      2. Authority - what can they do?
    3. Storage policy revisions (added by Brant, Lance's proposal)
      1. Proposed Parking Ticket/Pass System
      2. Enforcement
    4. Proxy voting discussion (added by Brant based on BOD discussion)
      1. Do we want to keep or eliminate it?
      2. Pros? Cons?
      3. By-Laws revisions would be required to eliminate them
    5. Vote to authorize funds for business cards (added by Brant)
      1. Lance, Tiffany requested
      2. Any other Board Members?
      3. 250? 500 each sound good?
  3. Check on progress of Building Topics/Projects:
    1. Chris Hemmerly's access to Server Room (Added by Lance)
    2. How are we doing on moving people out of east room, implementing rate increases?
    3. Snow Removal (added by Brant, prompted by Adrian)
  4. Check on progress of Member Projects:
    1. 4×8 CNC Plasma Cutter (Added by Brant, ask JoeR)
    2. 4×8 CNC Router (Added by Brant, ask SteveP)
    3. Kuka (Added by Brant, ask MattN)
    4. David H. requested space for “Misty Field” project
      1. Is this a group project or a member project?
    5. RA-1F Vertical Mill (Added by Brant, ask Tom/Joe)
  5. New equipment/donations:
    1. Rich H. requested space for machine shop desk/tooling (added by Brant based on BOD discussion)
  6. Events:
    1. Maker Faire 2014 Wrap-up
    2. Maker Faire 2015 Makerspace plans (Jim Kelly)
    3. Future Board Meetings (added by Brant)
      1. Bi-weekly or monthly?
      2. Discuss dates
  7. Any topics from members who are present
    1. Do we want to add Harrison Metals on our website as a sponsor? (added by Brant, asking Lance/Tom, was this just with regard to Maker Faire?)
    2. Adoption of Official BOD Seal/Logo? (added by Brant)
boardmeetingagenda/2014-10-23.1414254037.txt.gz · Last modified: 2014/10/25 16:20 by raster